DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Paint and resin coat countertop

10511 Views 5 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Nestor_Kelebay
I have painted an old formica countertop and then coated it with Resin. It came out beautifully but...needs a little more resin in spots. Does anyone know if I need to wait for the resin to cure completely (72 hours) before putting on another coast or can I do it now? It has been about 24 hours since the first coat.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks nestor,
I used a spray paint by Rustoleum called Stone accents, it is acrylic.
The resin is a product by Parks called Super Glaze. It is like Polyeurathane but it is an epoxy resin mix. It is used for sealing bar counters or tables.
The result, after painting, looks like stone or even marble, a glossy top, but it seems like an easy way to transform formica inexpensively.
Does that help?
I have seen a lot of people suggesting using this kind of coating over colored paper, stones, gravel, sand, glass to make the countertop durable.
What do you think?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you again,
That was very helpful and I will follow your advice. I did see that cleaning with alchol was suggested. I need to get more product to get a full coat on, By then, I will have reached the 72 hour mark. I really apprecite your response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.