DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Solar Panels on the roof

22230 60
Has anyone installed roof solar panels at home?
Can you share the good, bad and ugly?
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to be skeptical BB....but I would be careful relying on those estimates.
Well... We haven't signed any paper yet. There is some pressure sales, but we'll be okay.

I've really never heard of a Solar estimate that was not favorable....
I suppose you're right, but this wasn't an estimate. This was to look at the location of the house, the slope of the roof and such things. We are pretty sure we have good solar potential and this confirmed it.

And do remember, depending on your age and intent to live there, Solor installations as to resale value, arer anybodys guess....as better technologies and costs to maintain with new batteries etc are completely just a F'n guess.

(Solar estimates are much like...even worse...than leasing or financing a car thru a dealer...most people do not understand the underllying assumption or discount rates that are used....and that is the dealers advantage in a consumer's ignorence.)
We aren't worried about resale value. We're going to live here till we die, which probably within twenty years. Our goal is to live well from now till then. We think it's a safe bet that utility electricity will cost more in the future. I guess we're just trying to figure out how much to install now and how much to install later. The costs are dropping and the technology is improving. So we're thinking of doing some now and some later.

· Registered
Acqua Tempus shower timer
30 Posts
hi
We have installed about 7 Kw in our little factory and it does reduce the electricity bill;
in you case, apparently you want to install it at home; In my opinion, the optimum if you install photovoltaic on your roof, is also changing your combustion engine car by an electric one; therefore, you are probably going to get a better return, although it is also treu electric cards are expensive
is the gallon of gas already at 5$?
hope this helps

· Registered
1 Posts
My wife dealt with this issue. I am constantly busy at work, and she has the opportunity and time to do it. I can tell you what I noticed after installing the solar panels. The first one, of course, is the electric bill. It's such a relief not to get those three zeros anymore. Second, I can now brag to my colleagues that I have done more for the preservation of our planet than our company. Third, my wife is now a company ambassador EnergyAustralia | Award-Winning Electricity & Gas Provider. Discounts Available.. Just kidding haha But I wouldn't mind her getting paid for it. After all, she always tells her friends and me about them. I'm not jealous, but I think she's more interested in these guys than me. But I'm glad she's found a topic to discuss with my friends' girlfriends. I can give her Facebook. You can ask her for all the details.

· Registered
7,487 Posts
. If you have trees or tall bushes within 10 feet of the house, and live in an area with lots of squirrels, you should definitely do your research before taking the solar plunge.
I deal with them in a different way. I use bait. I dont have solar panels but they like to get in under roofs and destroy insulation. No squirrels anywhere iv used bait.

· Registered
360 Posts
My whole house runs on a large solar system I installed myself. Not only do we run on a grid tied solar (pump energy into grid), but we can take it completely off-grid with the flip of a couple switches.

Our power bill was, on average, about $150 a month, now its just a $7 meter charge. In fact, the solar worked out so well, and the calculations for power production were so accurate, that we started changing things over to electric and added onto the solar.

We now heat our Michigan house with about 80% electricity in the winter. Instead of burning 10 to 15 face cords per winter, we now use only 2 or 3 during the late december-january deep freeze.

I installed the system in 2017 and it paid for itself last month.

Solar components are pretty cheap. You can replace an inverter for about $1500, or replace panels for about 45 cents per watt. You can even run different kinds of panels so long as they use their own MPPT input on the inverter.

· Registered
7,487 Posts
Solar panels and great but they need to be made here in this country, or at least in north america.Its not Rocket Science. Ill be looking for some soon and i dont want any Made in china or any other communist country.

· Registered
360 Posts
Solar panels and great but they need to be made here in this country, or at least in north america.Its not Rocket Science. Ill be looking for some soon and i dont want any Made in china or any other communist country.
China is the heavyweight leader but there are plenty of panels made in South Korea and the USA.

I believe REC makes them in Texas(?) Some are also made in Canada.

Mine were made in Germany and South Korea.

A German panel made in China is not the same as a Chinese panel made in China.

Rectangle Azure Font Parallel Screenshot

· Registered
57 Posts
I have Mission solar panels. Reasonably priced and work well. Keep in mind that the silicon wafers for virtually all makers come from China, unfortunately. It is becoming a national security risk. We need domestic wafer production, too.

· Registered
1,365 Posts
I would never install anything on my roof. Potential damage to roofing is expensive. And there is fire hazard imo. Google Walmart Tesla. The panels need to be washed often for maximum efficiency. And they have to be maintained.
The only way I would entertain the idea of solar panels would be building a structure a few feet off the ground for mounting the panels. Just my thoughts.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts