DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We painted our bathroom on Friday 9/15. We did not use the shower for over 24 hours after.

We used a Zinser Mildew resistant ceiling paint. One that goes on Pink and dry's white.

Our bathroom does get very steamy when taking a shower, we have a small ceiling fan vent that should remove moisture.

It looks like when it gets wet and steamy in the bathroom that the PINK is now bleeding back through and the chemical is becoming active again.

any thoughts on what we can do to resolve?

·
Premium Member
5,447 Posts
Wow, I've never seen anything like that but I'm just a homeowner. I bought a gal 5 yrs ago an used it in 2 bathrooms, no problem.

Recently bought another gal and used it in one water closet. No trouble. I plan to use it in 2 other bathrooms so will be very interested in your feedback.

Is there a phone number on the can so you can call the company?

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Well, your fan is not removing the moisture.

Are you running the fan while showering?

If yes, then the fan is either not working well or you don't have a good supply of makeup air. How large is the gap under the door ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put In a support Ticket through their website. I am awaiting a reply.

I have about 1/2 inch opening under the door. I will check the fan to make sure it is not blocked, and is venting properly. if not I can install a stronger fan.

Either way, is this paint supposed to react this way to moisture? If I wipe it down, will it eventually stop reacting/bleeding?

worried if it drips on tile/granite it may stain.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
I'd cut another 1/2 inch or so off the bottom of the door. I like a 1 to 1-1/4 inch gap. Then see if the fan does a better job. If not, then go for the bigger fan.

·
Premium Member
7,036 Posts
Gotta agree that with that much moisture in your bathroom and using the tinted ceiling paint, that is definitely going to be a continuing issue. If it were me, I would clean up the ceiling, make sure it is thoroughly dry. Prime with an OIL-based primer (KILZ or CoverStain). Allow that to dry overnight and then apply an OIL-BASED paint. Yeah, I know, Oil-based sucks to use, but, with that kind of moisture issue, it is the best solution in YOUR bathroom.

Reactions: chrisn

·
retired painter
10,303 Posts
Not sure I would use an oil base enamel but do agree with an oil base primer. Zinnser's Perma White would be a good coating choice for your bath rm ceiling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We painted our bathroom on Friday 9/15. We did not use the shower for over 24 hours after.

We used a Zinser Mildew resistant ceiling paint. One that goes on Pink and dry's white.

Our bathroom does get very steamy when taking a shower, we have a small ceiling fan vent that should remove moisture.

It looks like when it gets wet and steamy in the bathroom that the PINK is now bleeding back through and the chemical is becoming active again.

any thoughts on what we can do to resolve?
Just painted our bathroom with same ceiling paint and it's doing the exact same thing. Ceiling has a heavy texture and holds the moisture alot and looks like the ceiling is bleeding. Guess I will have to use an oil primer and different type of ceiling paint Ughhh

·
retired painter
10,303 Posts
You should never use a flat latex paint in a bath rm, including the ceiling. Latex enamels will try to repel water, flats try to absorb it. I like to use a decent latex primer [over new drywall] and top coat with Zinnser's PermaWhite which has extra mildewcide in it. PW comes in satin or semi-gloss latex enamel.

·
Premium Member
7,036 Posts
This thread is why I avoid (at all costs) the tinted ceiling paints. You think the pink bleed is bad, wait til you see how the purple stuff bleeds. A total mess and of course there is no warning on the labels of these ceiling paints telling you this could happen in high moisture areas. I painted a bedroom ceiling with the purple ceiling paint tint and the HO's had a leak around their skylight. That whole area turned DEEP purple. Had to prime with CoverStain and redo the whole ceiling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts