DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
This one has been the victim of extreme destruction, judging from the way the side is blown out. Into the trash it goes.

You really, really ought to plan to replace that Zinsco panel. The things are firestarters in a big way, and this can't be corrected by changing breakers, because the bus itself is the issue.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
if the circuit breaker is in good condition and mounted in the panel ?
Then you should read 120v on both sides of the breaker
If the breaker is turned on
if it reads on only one side (line side) then it is either turned off or faulty.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
No no I t got busted wen I tried to unscrew the wires its connected too
Because the plastic case got brittle from age and/or excessive heat.

Maybe a slower version of what I said, but the same in the end. It's dead, Jim. Off to the breaker museum it goes!

I realize that puts you in the unpleasant position of trying to find a Zinsco GFCI breaker in the 21st century, but given the age of the GFCI it's more the illusion of safety. Hmm, that's pretty much Zinsco's motto: "the illusion of safety". I'm sorry, not to rag on your panel, but it is on the shortlist (with FPE) of panels known to be dangerous firestarters. It must go. So I don't see any point in paying nosebleed prices for a rare Zinsco breaker (GFCI or not) to replace this one. It's throwing good money after bad.

We ought to have a conversation about a strategy to replace your panel at sane cost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.