DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to troubleshoot my York Furnace:

MODEL: TGLS100C20MP11A

ISSUE: The furnace intermittently does not start. After resetting the power by unplugging and plugging back in, the furnace will run a cycle, maybe two or more and then will fail to start some time after. When running, it heats fine and the air flow is good but the unit rattles a tiny bit so I'm wondering if there is a loose blower wheel? The blower wheel turns by hand okay and doesn't feel loose, but feels heavy and I'm not sure if it should spin real easily like a car's radiator fan. The last attempt to run, I notice the unit was humming like the blower was trying to start spinning but could not. I unplugged it. It restarted after that just fine, but I'm no longer comfortable letting it run without a proper repair.

ERROR CODE: 11 red flashes. The York site says this is usually caused by a failed blower motor or blower wheel. That information is great, but is it definitive?!

SOLUTIONS: I would like to know if an out of balance blower wheel could be the cause of vibration and noise and if that is enough to cause the unit to fail to operate? Is the blower motor shot? Totally comfortable to replace, but am I going down the right path but doing this? Could it be the run capacitor, etc... what should I test first?

So, based on these things I DO know, which component and things should I troubleshoot first to isolate the issue? I know my way around a multi meter and can practice electrical safety and I really want to solve this one myself. Look forward to any help I can get!

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Does 11 flash mean the main high limit is open or what?

The last attempt to run, I notice the unit was humming like the blower was trying to start spinning but could not. I unplugged it. It restarted after that just fine, but I'm no longer comfortable letting it run without a proper repair.
Check the blower motor run capacitor if your meter can do so.

When the capacitor is weak, the motor can have trouble starting and not be able to get up to full speed.

You're right to not let it run because a bad cap can damage the motor - the overheating can completely ruin the furnace.

That's a big furnace so don't use a pleated 1" filter unless it's large like 25x25. too restrictive to airflow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does 11 flash mean the main high limit is open or what?

Check the blower motor run capacitor if your meter can do so.

When the capacitor is weak, the motor can have trouble starting and not be able to get up to full speed.

You're right to not let it run because a bad cap can damage the motor - the overheating can completely ruin the furnace.

That's a big furnace so don't use a pleated 1" filter unless it's large like 25x25. too restrictive to airflow.
Thanks for your reply. If there was an open I don't think resetting the power would make it start, right? Again, I'm not an expert. I suspect it is either the capacitor or the motor, and the capacitor is inexpensive so I'm inclined to start there, BUT the error says the blower motor. Could the capacitor just be part of the motor system that is indicating the fail?

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
The error code tells you what safety is preventing it from running, not which part is bad.

Having the blower fail to start or run slow causes overheating which causes the limit to open.

It automatically resets when the unit cools down.

If your meter can check capacitance, check the capacitor before replacing it.

If not, the capacitor is much cheaper than the meter so you might as well give it a shot.

Could be a motor issue or something else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts