DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a 60A subpanel to a detached shed 50 feet from the house. I plan to run #6 THHN/THWN, with a #10 ground wire, in conduit. What size do I need? I'm thinking 2-inch?

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
1" would be fine, but you might as well go bigger. It doesn't cost much more, and it's always easier to pull through bigger pipe. 1.5" is certainly big enough.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Wasn't sure and didn't want to get something too small. I have a lot of electrical experience but none involving conduit until now.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
It would all fit into a 3/4", but using a 1" should be sufficient. 2" is overkill.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I ran same wires to my workshop - used 1.5" so as to have plenty room if ever wanted to upgrade. Agreed, 2" is not needed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I used 1" for my sub panel roughly the same distance. I wished that I had used 1.5". Also while you have the trench open I always recommend laying a future pipe or two. You never know when you might need to run low voltage out there for alarm/cable/satellite, etc.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Future pipe is definitely a good idea. It's a common practice in commercial work for a reason. The extra cost of two spare 1.5" conduits is far less than the frustration of not being able to run whatever the heck you decide you need two years from now.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
I am running a 60A subpanel to a detached shed 50 feet from the house. I plan to run #6 THHN/THWN, with a #10 ground wire, in conduit. What size do I need? I'm thinking 2-inch?
What size neutral conductor?

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
Same as the other conductors - #6.
Make sure the neutral conductor is white its entire length. You can not mark it with white tape. The ground wire has to be green.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
You don’t find 1 aught in white unless you have it made. 1/0 can be remarked white with tape. Sizes larger than #6 AWG can be re-marked when run in pipe.

·
Super Moderator
9,450 Posts
What is the most 90's permissable in a 2" conduit 100 feet long pulling 4-#1's using copper?
It dosen't matter what size conduit.
The limit is 360 degrees of bends before needing a pull box.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts