DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just leveled the slab floor of my kitchen and we are wanting to install laminate flooring tomorrow. Because of the slab on grade, I was going to use the Platon underlayment system ( http://www.systemplaton.com/flooring.html). I see where the technical specs call for tapcon screws at 24" O.C., but I am wondering if ramset nailing might serve just as well. Anybody have any experience with Platon? If I can avoid drilling and screwing, I would like to. If not, I 'll cope. Comments?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
162 Posts
Probably too late with this but I'd suggest reconsidering the laminate flooring in a kitchen. The kitchen is considered a wet area and most laminate floors are not rated for wet areas. Any spilled water will just about kill the flooring. Wet mopping is out. Expect the floor life to be short and hopefully you won't have cooked liquids fall on the floor as it will migrate under it and stink. It's not a good choice for a kitchen environment.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Probably too late with this but I'd suggest reconsidering the laminate flooring in a kitchen. The kitchen is considered a wet area and most laminate floors are not rated for wet areas. Any spilled water will just about kill the flooring. Wet mopping is out. Expect the floor life to be short and hopefully you won't have cooked liquids fall on the floor as it will migrate under it and stink. It's not a good choice for a kitchen environment.
Several years ago I installed laminate flooring in the master bedroom and extended it into the vanity area. A few weeks later, the shower control valve started to leak inside the wall and then water flowed under the laminate floor. It swelled up like a sponge. I removed that section and replaced with tile. This was the older style laminate that was glued and the seams are supposed to be water resistant. If you wipe up spills quickly, you might be OK. There are few places on the floors in the other bedrooms with some damage where water was spilled and not wiped up. Based on my experience, I would also suggest not using laminate in a kitchen.

David

·
Craftster
129 Posts
I know it wasn't your question but I agree as well, we have laminate in livingroom, diningroom and hallway, I'd be more than fairly scared to have it in the kitchen given how much it dislikes liquids.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, the laminate is bought, and it's a little late at this point to turn back. You can damp mop the laminate, and if you get to spills quick enough there is little problem (usually). If there is a real problem, we will cut it out and install tile.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,922 Posts
And now my favorite......

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting. We've had laminate in our kitchen for about 9 years now and no problems. And with 5 kids we've had plenty of spills. I just wipe them up. And I damp mop about once a week. The flooring is still in great shape. Just our experience.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did research before committing to laminate. Lots of people use it in kitchens with great success. Many of the conditions of failure would have impacted other floor types as well. Tile is clearly the most low maintenance, but it is a cold, hard floor, and not always aesthetically appealing. There is enough success with laminate flooring out there to make it a viable option if you don't want the "same old, same old".

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back to the point of the original topic thread... I emailed Armtec, the makers of Platon, and asked them if I needed to secure their floor underlayment to the slab at all if no subfloor will be installed over it. Every installation brochure/detail shows nails and screws used IF there is an OSB subfloor to be installed, but laminate flooring can be installed without the subfloor, and no detail or description of that condition mentions any kind of anchoring for the Platon in this situation. I will report back on what they say.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For anyone who cares, Armtec, the folks that manufacture the Platon underlayment, responded that their product can be used under laminate floors without being nailed or screwed down. The Platon and the laminate would "float".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts