DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine found a Yellow Jacket nest inside the main panel (in their attached garage). She wants to use the wasp/hornet spray (technically not flammable, right?) but it makes a mess and leaves a residue. Any advice to give? (other than a U-Haul)

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Are the YJkts gaining access from inside the garage or from outside?

Bud

·
Naildriver
10,634 Posts
Wasp spray is not flammable. The carrier gas is, so I'd say no to it. Normally yellow jackets nest in the ground. Can you get a picture of this. I have only seen Yjkts above ground one other time. May not have looked enough, but would like to see a picture of the nest.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
She wants to use the wasp/hornet spray (technically not flammable, right?)
You/she need to check the SDS on whatever spray she plans on using.
As an example, Raid wasp and hornet spray is classed as an extremely flammable aerosol. The use rubbing alcohol as a carrier for other ingredients, and use various light petroleum products as the propellant.

I also don’t like the idea of the Wet product in the electrical panel. You surely don’t want to spray it into a hot panel where the moisture could create a ground fault.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sevin dust. Had a yellowjacket nest behind the window flashing. Put some Sevin in a turkey baster and squeezed a few puffs into the opening to the nest and never saw another YJ fly out.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
I have used a product named Bonide with great results eliminating yellow jackets.
it works by covering the entrance of their nest with a fine white powder that they carry back into the nest. It isn't quick, but in a couple of days they have brought enough into the nest to kill it off.
Any dust is flammable especially when concentrated. It does require a spark though to ignite. The warmth of the panel and current going through it will not cause it to ignite. BUT....any loose wire, connection or ill fitting breaker that could arc when a load is applied is of concern.
If the cover is left off there will be little concentration. It is best to apply at night when there is no activity and leave it alone until all are gone.
Yellow Jackets are mean S O B's.
Make sure to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Friend of mine found a Yellow Jacket nest inside the main panel (in their attached garage). She wants to use the wasp/hornet spray (technically not flammable, right?) but it makes a mess and leaves a residue. Any advice to give? (other than a U-Haul)
Try driving them out using peppermint oil by hanging a rag @ 2 feet away with splashes of peppermint soaked into the rag. They hate that stuff...

Cheers!

TRI0N :vs_cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts