DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The house foundation appears to be 3 or even 4 bricks thick. The garage was hard enough to get through the terra cotta. Where the power line from the meter goes into the house, it is up between joists and is brick on the inside of the house. The area is kind of hard to reach. I chiseled through the garage terra cotta which fortunately has voids in it. It wasn’t easy, but I had excellent access.

I need to get through and into the house now.

If it would be acceptable to just get the four individual wires through and then seal all around them, and put conduit of a junction box on both sides of the wall, I think that might be easier than making a 2” hole for 1.25” conduit.

When sending xhhw-2 wire through a brick wall, must it be in conduit? I assume yes.

Thanks for all the help!

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,219 Posts
You assume correctly.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I reduce from 1.25” to 1” with white pvc? I have a hole about the same size as the 1.25” pvc but it won’t go through and no bigger drill bits .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
White PVC plumbing pipe is not conduit.
I was thinking of just using it for size adapters, but believe I won’t need it anyway.

I think I’ve read that it’s ok to use white PVC underground. I think it’s less flexible but is a lot cheaper. I’m not using it, but believe it could have been a way to run bigger pipe for less money.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,219 Posts
I was thinking of just using it for size adapters, but believe I won’t need it anyway.

I think I’ve read that it’s ok to use white PVC underground. I think it’s less flexible but is a lot cheaper. I’m not using it, but believe it could have been a way to run bigger pipe for less money.
You read wrong.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You read wrong.

You read wrong.

Perhaps “underground” was the key. This article states that the main difference is that gray conduit CPVC is rated for UV exposure while the white PVC is not.

I did find several good reason NOT to use white PVC underground for electrical in this page, but didn’t (yet) get to any comments about white possibly being combustible. I seem to think I remember seeing white PVC burn before. I don’t know that I’ve seen gray PVC do this. In any case, the one that got me to stop reading was when I read,
“What happens when a plumber cuts into white PVC because he thinks it’s a drain pipe?“.

I am now very happy that I did not purchase any white PVC when I bought all the conduit. Walking back and forth between the two isles in Home Depot made it pretty hard to justify paying the extra for the gray, but it came down to not wanting to screw up the project and also not wanting to cheap out on the most expensive house I’ve ever purchased.

The question would have been just for a single reducer fitting, maybe one on each side, but it’s moot now because I did get the 1.25” conduit all the way through the 3-4 brick thick wall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts