DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sick when I realized they stained my new log cabin with the wrong stain. It was a semi-transparent stain. Can I stain over it with another semi-transparent stain to change the color?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Once it is dry, yes you can stain over it. Keep in mind, if the current stain is dark, and trying to put a lighter stain on, will not work.

·
Painting Company, NY
1,039 Posts
You will have to strip it off or wait until it fades. Its not recomeded to apply a second coat of stain unless its wet on wet and also if you applied another semi transparent you will still see the color from the semi transparent that's applied now. If you apply another coat of stain to soon you will be over applying. If it was me I would not stain over it.

Who is they? Didn't you have a contract? Sign off on color and stain choice selection?

·
Registered
163 Posts
You will have to strip it off or wait until it fades. Its not recomeded to apply a second coat of stain unless its wet on wet and also if you applied another semi transparent you will still see the color from the semi transparent that's applied now. If you apply another coat of stain to soon you will be over applying. If it was me I would not stain over it.

Who is they? Didn't you have a contract? Sign off on color and stain choice selection?
this man speaks truth. if u can't leave it alone, then the only option is to put one coat of a solid oil stain on top, but you will no longer see much of the wood. it'll be like a paint, but when it fails, it will fade rather than peel like
paint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts