DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plumbing fixture Toilet Plumbing fitting Line Fluid
of water into the sink like from a dish pan and it makes gurgling sounds as it drains. But running tap water seems to drain ok.

I suspect the P-Trap isn't correct or not installed properly? Please see attached photo. I've never seen a sharp P-Trap like this for kitchen sink and is it too long or wide enough?

Or I need to clear the drain line or check the vent on the roof?

What do you suggest?

Thank you!

·
Registered
25,051 Posts
You left out part of your original post. I can remove this later. You can edit by clicking on the three dots to the upper right of your post.

"Hello,

I recently had a contractor redo my kitchen sink, and he replaced all plumbing parts. But now the sink is draining extremely slowly when I pour a lot of water into the sink like from a dish pan and it makes gurgling sounds as it drains. But running tap water seems to drain ok.

I suspect the P-Trap isn't correct or not installed properly? Please see attached photo. Ive never seen a sharp P-Trap like this for kitchen sink and is it too long or wide enough?

What do you suggest?

Thank you!"

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I'd say that is not an ideal solution for a p-trap but it's got all the right pieces and in the correct order as far as I am aware. And with that long vertical below the sink I'm surprised you have a complaint. Maybe the original drain was installed lower than optimal?
I (also) recently had to remove, clean and reinstall wife's vanity sink drain. Flowed better after cleaning but I suspect the vent stacks for this house, while up to code, should have done much better.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

·
Naildriver
15,594 Posts
It sounds as if you have a venting problem. Do adjacent sinks/tubs experience the same?

Reactions: huesmann

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Piece that goes into the wall may be too long and obstructing the flow/vent inside the wall.
If you are so inclined, disassemble it and see if it extends more than about 1-1/2" past the Slip nut.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, all, for your helpful replies.

The bathroom doesn't seem to have draining issues. My house has only have 1 bed, 1 bath.

That's why I suspect the new plumbing under the kitchen sink.

But if it's the vent issue, do you think it's related to the small leak under the toilet base I discussed in my other post?

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What does it mean backpitched?

I just went to the roof and snaked the vent pipe and nothing came out.

If I have to redo the plumbing down there, how should it be reconfigured optimally for the space?

Thank you!

·
Naildriver
15,594 Posts
Loosen the nut circled and pick up on the trap and re-tighten it. It may help with the pitch if it is out of whack.

Plumbing fixture Plumbing fitting Plumbing valve Fixture Line

·
Premium Member
12,179 Posts
What exactly did he redo on the sink? If he replaced parts then look to those items for the fix.
The trap is as standard as they get.... 1.99 at any supply house
If the sink was not moved then the trap arm length is probably fine and not a vent issue, unless the contractor removed an AAV.
Looks like a new basket strainer so you might look at it's outlet to see if it is more restrictive compared to the old one. Perhaps try a different style instead of the inexpensive one he put in

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
of water into the sink like from a dish pan and it makes gurgling sounds as it drains. But running tap water seems to drain ok.

I suspect the P-Trap isn't correct or not installed properly? Please see attached photo. I've never seen a sharp P-Trap like this for kitchen sink and is it too long or wide enough?

What do you suggest?

Thank you!

I would clean your kitchen sink drain. Kitchen sinks tend to have grease blockages. Do not add an AAV unless your sink is not vented in the wall. 1.5 inch traps under IPC can be 6 foot from the traps vent.
My money is your drain has grease buildup from the wall on.

·
Registered
899 Posts
My guess is he dislodged some gunk/grease when changing and you have a partial clog.
I would try the snake the drain.
What you show looks fine and is not a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts