DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice work. I have a plan to start on a deck in the next few weeks and enjoy seeing them built to get ideas for mine. I don't understand the reason for the strips you used on top of the joists. How do they prevent weathering? Seems like water will still wick up under them.

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
From the "what I have learned" department: The strips are most likely roofing felt (a.k.a. tarpaper) and is used to prevent moisture from rain or deck washing from getting between the framing lumber (joists) and the decking boards. Moisture will get between these boards and not always evaporate in a timely manner. Even though the joists and deck boards may be PT the moisture will seep into the wood causing premature rot.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Can you buy the roofing paper in narrow strips like that? If not, how is the best way to cut the strips? I think it's a great idea.

·
85 Posts
wrap around deck for country house

hi n2omichael, you can buy the strips already cut to width. they make a product just for that purpose, one product is called deck flash . again with any new idea the jury is still out on this one with me. ok let me have it. :)

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
The strips may do more work sealing the nail or screws that go through them. Remove the decking off some old decks where the frame is still useable, the worst damage is around the nail holes. Best bet is ice shield, field cut, that actually claims to seal around the nails. Curve side down for drainage.

·
Registered
216 Posts
After some searching I found that window flashing tape can be used for the deck joists and you guys were right, it prevents water from getting into the holes so the boards won't rot from the inside out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts