DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can find a solution here... My zero turn is only 4-5 years old and mowed great for the first two years. It’s been progressively getting worse for mulching. I know a good amount about landscaping and have exhausted all options I can think of. Brand new, used to mow at 3/3.5 and had a terrific lawn. Today I have to double cut and still leaving a lot more clumps than there should be, unless I leave it over 4”. I’m aware of the 1/3 height rule, wet lawns, clean underside etc. I tune my mower every year- filters, oil, spark plugs, battery, blades, etc. (brand new mulching blades a few weeks ago). I decided to take it in to my dealer and they replaced the deck belt, said everything is running great. I’ve gotten to point of considering a new mower if I can’t figure this out. My walk behind Honda does a superior job compared to my toro. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Naildriver
10,417 Posts

·
Registered
37,139 Posts
There's no location in your profile so I'll guess you may be dealing with the same issue I am this year.
I have to mow an average of 35 lawns a week, I have two different brand Z Turns, one with high lift mulching blades the other one has Gator blades and both are leaving some what of a mess and I have to go back and blow away some of the trails I've left behind.
Around here the issue is it's been so wet this year and it never got hot or windy enough to dry things out.
I've even tried waiting until noon, to mow but you can still the dew as your mowing.
One thing I've tried and it seem to work better is instead of mowing in somewhat of a circle, I mow a row, make a 180 deg. turn and mow the other direction.
Logic would tell you that should not work because your not only cutting the grass, but blowing already cut grass laying on top of it, but it seems to work.
The grass here has been growing so fast I had to make all my biweekly customers switch to weekly, some even then it should have been done sooner.
If you do try the Gator Blades try to buy what they call the G6 grade.
It has a much harder edge so it last longer.
A Gator blade is also thicker, and wider then an OEM blade.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
There's no location in your profile so I'll guess you may be dealing with the same issue I am this year.
I have to mow an average of 35 lawns a week, I have two different brand Z Turns, one with high lift mulching blades the other one has Gator blades and both are leaving some what of a mess and I have to go back and blow away some of the trails I've left behind.
Around here the issue is it's been so wet this year and it never got hot or windy enough to dry things out.
I've even tried waiting until noon, to mow but you can still the dew as your mowing.
One thing I've tried and it seem to work better is instead of mowing in somewhat of a circle, I mow a row, make a 180 deg. turn and mow the other direction.
Logic would tell you that should not work because your not only cutting the grass, but blowing already cut grass laying on top of it, but it seems to work.
The grass here has been growing so fast I had to make all my biweekly customers switch to weekly, some even then it should have been done sooner.
If you do try the Gator Blades try to buy what they call the G6 grade.
It has a much harder edge so it last longer.
A Gator blade is also thicker, and wider then an OEM blade.
Can we see before and after pictures of one of your mowed lawns and how you mow like that ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed them myself, yes installed properly lol. I tried gators last year, found them actually worse than my current mulching blades. I am located in wi and have been cutting late afternoon to avoid as much moisture as possible. Would a striping kit help? Act like a comb?

·
Hammered Thumb
2,671 Posts
Can't confirm it and I don't believe everything on the interwebs, but I have read that if the mounting height of a mulching blade changes even 1/4" (relative to the bottom of the deck lip, not deck cutting height) from how a mulching deck was originally designed, the airflow (vacuum) characteristics can change and the grass will not stay in the deck enough rotations to mulch small enough and spread out. So people have written about a spacer on the shaft left out during a blade change, or when replacing a motor/shaft of different length.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts