DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ancient sink drain that finally disintegrated. The P-trap and drain extension literally fell apart to the touch. The problem is 1) it's all copper pipe 2) the drain extension appears to have been welded onto the iron stub-out.
The question is 1) how do I remove all this and 2) how can I attach PVC pipe to the stub-out (which apparently has no threads).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Post a picture if you can-----It sounds like a rubber Fernco fitting might be a quick solution if you don't have soldering skills or equipment.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
That's soldered in----easiest thing to do is saw that off --add a rubber Fernco boot--then a PVC trap adapter-- then the usual plastic P-trap.

A trap adapter is a fitting (1 1/2") that has a nut and is usually glued into a fitting.

Best and correct way to fix that would be to solder on a 1 1/2" copper male fitting. Bring your wallet--the last one I bought was over $20-- Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!!!

But can't I just saw off the mess and use a Fernco coupling and a PVC drain extension/P-trap?etc... instead of soldiering a copper pipe and end up just adding a coupling and doing the same thing?

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Thanks!!!

But can't I just saw off the mess and use a Fernco coupling and a PVC drain extension/P-trap?etc... instead of soldiering a copper pipe and end up just adding a coupling and doing the same thing?
Yes you can. Thats what Mike suggested.
Use a fernco(copper x plastic), 1 1/2" plastic trap adapter, and a p trap- Done deal :thumbup:

Reactions: oh'mike
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.