DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Niece and nephew came to visit for a couple of days, brought their kids. Oldest is a 13 YO girl who has never picked up a tool. Dad has a rudimentary toolbox but does very little. So i thought it was time her library of knowledge and skills was expanded. Bought some 1x12 pine boards and built a simple bookshelf. She learned the tablesaw, mitersaw, router, sander, brad nailer, hacksaw and … tape measure!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I gave her the earmuffs and showed her how to wear them … she didn’t see a need. And if you look a little closely, she tended to stand with her legs crossed.

When it was done she told her mama she didn’t think she could do it, but she sure was happy.

Attachments

·
Big Dog
3,452 Posts
Way to go.

I tired this with my 15-year-old grandson. It was a disaster.

He could not follow the simplest of directions which is why I would not let him use the power tools. I asked him to find the center of a board with a ruler. He could not do it. How does a 15-year-old not know how to do simple division, something I learned in the 3rd grade?

• Haha
Reactions: turbo4

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
Excellent! That was so nice of you. She’ll never forget that experience.
You made a memory. :giggle:

·
Administrator
42,113 Posts
Wow, hard to get most 13 year olds faces out of their cell phones. Your niece and nephew are bringing their kids up right.

When are you going to show her how to stain it.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When are you going to show her how to stain it.
Hah! Got lucky there. We live in central Va and they are in SC. Every fall they come to visit and we go to a u-pick apple orchard, that was the reason for the visit. Because of prior committments, we only had time for the build, she had to take it home unfinished.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,095 Posts
Keep up the teaching the new generation how-to.

That is where most of us old generationists learned, from our older relatives and senior neighbors.

You should have been sterner on those ear protectors, and eyewear, I have to use a hearing aid, because just like your student, I thought that will never happen to me.

I am too late smart about that, and suffer greatly because, I don't hear everything anymore.

ED

·
Administrator
42,113 Posts
Hah! Got lucky there. We live in central Va and they are in SC. Every fall they come to visit and we go to a u-pick apple orchard, that was the reason for the visit. Because of prior committments, we only had time for the build, she had to take it home unfinished.
Maybe she'll ask you to send her a vid on how to stain.

But still a nice book case, and nice to see a young person doing something constructive, without a cell phone in their hand.

Reactions: de-nagorg

·
Naildriver
14,477 Posts
Glad to see you doing that with her. She will never forget it. My grand daughter needed a clothes closet insert for her bedroom. She did not hang up her clothes. She folded them neatly and wanted a "cubby" to put them in. So we got busy and built one to fit in the opening of the closet. Not my cup of tea, but she loved it. I was a little leery of letting her use the table saw, so I did the big rips, etc. but she did the mitering and cross cuts.

·
Registered
17,380 Posts
Way to go.

He could not follow the simplest of directions which is why I would not let him use the power tools. I asked him to find the center of a board with a ruler. He could not do it. How does a 15-year-old not know how to do simple division, something I learned in the 3rd grade?
Don’t give up
Keep trying
Gently

·
Registered
17,380 Posts
Glad to see you doing that with her. She will never forget it. My grand daughter needed a clothes closet insert for her bedroom. She did not hang up her clothes. She folded them neatly and wanted a "cubby" to put them in. So we got busy and built one to fit in the opening of the closet. Not my cup of tea, but she loved it. I was a little leery of letting her use the table saw, so I did the big rips, etc. but she did the mitering and cross cuts.
You go grand dad!

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,095 Posts
Don’t give up
Keep trying
Gently
YES, sometimes it takes patience, to get them capable of accomplishing tasks.

I don't know your Grandson, but some people are told often that they can't, and they just give up.

Not everyone has a beautiful mind, some of us have to work at it, but when we accomplish the task, we want to learn more, and keep going to great achievements.

ED

·
Registered
For pleasure Woodworking and Furniture Building
95 Posts
Way to go.

I work with teens quite a bit, scout kids. "These kids today" are being taught to do exactly what they are told to do, when to do and how to do. Many lack creativity and problem solving. Woodwork requires planning and thinking through existing or potential problems. Many schools and parents are micro managing and not letting kids have some freedoms to think for themselves and the opportunities to fail. I consider myself and very good finish carpenter but I'm only there because of the thousands of mistakes I've made and figuring out how to fix them. School of hard knocks.

I feel the schools not requiring cooking and shop is a mistake. I feel parents not sending their kids outdoors and "go find something to do" is a mistake.

·
Registered
For pleasure Woodworking and Furniture Building
95 Posts
Niece and nephew came to visit for a couple of days, brought their kids. Oldest is a 13 YO girl who has never picked up a tool. Dad has a rudimentary toolbox but does very little. So i thought it was time her library of knowledge and skills was expanded. Bought some 1x12 pine boards and built a simple bookshelf. She learned the tablesaw, mitersaw, router, sander, brad nailer, hacksaw and … tape measure!
My nomination for the best post of the year!

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,095 Posts
I work with teens quite a bit, scout kids. "These kids today" are being taught to do exactly what they are told to do, when to do and how to do. Many lack creativity and problem solving. Woodwork requires planning and thinking through existing or potential problems. Many schools and parents are micro managing and not letting kids have some freedoms to think for themselves and the opportunities to fail. I consider myself and very good finish carpenter but I'm only there because of the thousands of mistakes I've made and figuring out how to fix them. School of hard knocks.

I feel the schools not requiring cooking and shop is a mistake. I feel parents not sending their kids outdoors and "go find something to do" is a mistake.
The days of Sunrise to Sunset, in Summer, being Outdoors exploring the vast wild of Nature are gone.

Sadly.

Of course, I got into things that were dangerous, but I always made it home for Dinner.

ED

·
Naildriver
14,477 Posts
One finite rule we had was the streetlights had better not come on before you get your butt in the house. Aside from that we were outside ripping and running. Kids nowadays have their faces stuck in their phones too much to enjoy what is out there for them.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Last year I found a wood and cast iron park bench in the trash of a neighbor. I brought it home and the grandkids (him 7, her 4) and I disassembled, sandblasted, cut oak slats, drilled, sanded, finished and assembled it. It took 3 months of weekly visits. They gave it to their mom for Christmas and to my surprise they kept it a secret for 3 months.
I like that you passed on some skills.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts