DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen everyone using the chain vise tripods when treading or connecting black gas pipe. Since every plumber I have ever watched has one, I assume that they are the best option when you need to clamp a pipe.
My question is, would a bench vise work the same way as those chain vises? Or any other style or method when the chain vise is not available.

·
Registered
14,630 Posts
I have seen everyone using the chain vise tripods when treading or connecting black gas pipe. Since every plumber I have ever watched has one, I assume that they are the best option when you need to clamp a pipe.
My question is, would a bench vise work the same way as those chain vises? Or any other style or method when the chain vise is not available.
These work well if you have a sturdy bench to bolt it to.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My question stems from starting to build a manifold for our gas system. Using nipples and 1”x3/4” tees and even with 2 wrenches it is very difficult and kicking my @ss.

·
Registered
14,630 Posts
Some bench vises also have jaws for pipe but I believe you'll find short nipples is what the difficulty will be with most vises. I'd prefer the chain style.
The problem with normal vise jaws, by the time enough pressure is applied to hold the pipe from rotating the pipe may be egged and ready for the scrap pile. That's the reason we see the jaws on pipe vises as they are.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Pipe vise would be best. Some places rent them.
Sometimes you can put one wrench on the ground and use it as a vice. But it can still be awkward.

I also have secured one pipe wrench in a bench vice and used that to hold the pipe. A vice that rotates makes this easier.

Reactions: SeniorSitizen

·
Registered
230 Posts
My question stems from starting to build a manifold for our gas system. Using nipples and 1”x3/4” tees and even with 2 wrenches it is very difficult and kicking my @ss.
Are you threading pipe or just assembling fittings and pipe.

If the second one, given the sizes you are using I would suggest you are probably trying to get them way too tight. 1" pipe needs no more than a 12" wrench and relatively light pressure to assemble properly and a regular bench vise should be more than enough to do this.

If you are threading pipe I could understand the desire for the upgrade to a pipe vise.

·
Registered
14,630 Posts
I also have secured one pipe wrench in a bench vice and used that to hold the pipe. A vice that rotates makes this easier.
And if it be necessary to work on the floor or down in the dirt with 2 pipe wrenches the stationary wrench can be secured to stand upright with most anything through the wrench handle like a screwdriver, or use a C-clamp, Quick Grip clamp etc. etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you threading pipe or just assembling fittings and pipe.

If the second one, given the sizes you are using I would suggest you are probably trying to get them way too tight. 1" pipe needs no more than a 12" wrench and relatively light pressure to assemble properly and a regular bench vise should be more than enough to do this.

If you are threading pipe I could understand the desire for the upgrade to a pipe vise.
It’s just for assembling tees and nipples. I feel like the vise would just help in general since A) I am not good with 2 pipe wrenches to begin with, let alone trying to tighten a wobbling item and B) it would help me line up all the nipples which has been one of the most aggravating things I have ever tried doing LOL!!!
I give plumbers a lot of credit

·
Registered
14,630 Posts
If you have a good sturdy bench vise, to build a manifold, clamp a T in the vise and build vertical from there assembling all fittings a couple of rounds. Tighten all fittings simultaneously by rotating the top fitting. After that's accomplished go back to the bottom with your 2 pipe wrenches and adjust each for direction working from bottom to top. Teflon tape makes this easy. Finally, if you want, leave the T and plug 2 of those openings for future use or remove it in exchange for an ell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.