DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just fumbled my way through connecting 10 ga. wires for my table saw power connection. I bent the wire into a hook shape, but when I tried to get it under the screws of the outlet it was so thick that it slipped when I tightened the screw.

I eventually got it to work by pinching the wire together under the screw. I would appreciate any tricks and tips you all could offer. It seems to me that by now someone somewhere would have invented a better way to connect wire. The plumbing world has the Shark Bite connectors that make soldering obsolete. Is there anything new in electrical?

I just do not so this stuff frequently enough to get the hang of it. Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The table saw is wired for 220V. I can not remember the actual number of the outlet, but it is for the plug from my saw. I used a double pole 15 amp switch at the circuit breaker.

The 10 ga. wire has been there a while so I assumed it had to be used. I guess I could have gotten way with 12 ga. However, 12 ga. is no picnic to work with compared to 14 ga.

My overall point is that I am not an electrician, but a landlord who does most oh his own work. Time is money for me, and I am just wondering if there is some fast but safe new way to connect up wires to outlets and switches.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did wind the wire clockwise, but as I tightened the screw the wire is so big that it was pushed up and away from the advancing screw.

My overall point is to find if there is anything I can order or look for in stores that make working with connections and jamming my hands in small tight boxes a little easier. If you do this stuff every day you probably know some tricks and can make several connections to my one. I just want to save time.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
If you are really bent on using such a large conductor for a smaller outlet, then the best way to terminate it is to pigtail a short piece of #12 to it, and connect that to the outlet. :huh:

30 Amp receptacles for 30 Amp loads would have lugs suitable for #10, and not present a problem for proper terminations. :whistling2:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Sockets/connections meant for 10 gauge wire (that I have seen, anyway) all had a set screw type arrangement where you screwed down the wire. I would think that for a large diameter wire like that you would use a crimp connector on the wire/socket connection in other applications. 10 gauge is hard to bend around a screw, as you have discovered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.