DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a chance to pick up a new (last years model) Maytag over the range Microwave for less than a fourth of the MSRP. Catch is it's bigger than the one it is replacing. Real problem is the height. The old one is fifteen inches and buts up against light switch covers at the base of the microwave (and there are cabinets above the microwave that have no recessed space between). The new one is 17 inches tall, and would eat into two inches of the cover. Is there a way I could install the new one and have things look decent? Of course also looking for the path of least resistance also. Mom doesn't want to cut into the cabinets so that's not an option. I don't know this for sure but I am assuming I can't have the microwave installed on top of a wall plate cover but I might be wrong there.. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Move the switch.

Also download the installation package for that microwave and check that you have at least the minimum clearance required from the burner to the bottom of the microwave.

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Got a picture so we can see what your dealing with?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I'd move the outlets, that's an awful place to have em.

As SPS mentioned, make sure you've got the clearance over the stove. We had a heck of a time with that part because my husband's 5' 3" so we had to put it as low as possible. I believe our original one recommended 18" so we designed the kitchen around that; that microwave blew out shortly after install and we got a new one that works out to be only 17" above the range. I'll tell ya though, I'm about ready to get rid of the otr because steam from even simple boiling water absolutely coats the front of the nuker constantly and I don't like having to turn on the fan's every single time I cook anything under it. When we expand the kitchen I'm going to do a short stove vent and get a built-in/counter top nuker.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I agree that the switches/outlets aren't in a good spot. But depending what amount of work is needed to relocate, this could be a better option:

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Our very simple solution to solving that problem in my son's home was to simply move the cabinet above the stove 4" higher. Many modern homes in this area do not have cabinet tops evenly aligned. Admittedly most of those homes have more elegant cabinets and they do some capital treatment around the elevated one but his is simply higher.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. It's cool there is a place that so many are willing to help with an issue like this.

I'm not crazy about where the switch is either. But I think in might be there cause wall space in that part of the house is limited. That door to the right is the entrance from the garage and it is up against an inside wall on the other side of the frame. A wall that includes a closet, so basically if you opened the garage entry door and the closet door there knobs would touch. Putting the switch on the other side of the range isn't ideal either. Easiest thing might be just to flip the switch around to the garage side? The switch has control for the ceiling fan in the kitchen though.. Not that we use it much.

Cabinets run all the way up the wall above the microwave so unfortunately just moving them wouldn't work...

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
You could buy a few inches using horizontal outlet boxes, but it'd take up more space across the back of the stove.

...Unless you got a multi rockers that fits in a single gang? Horizontally mounted you'd get your space and be able to keep the switches as far to the right as possible.

I'm getting a triple toggle switch that fits into a single gang for my new bathroom fan - https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-Combination-Individual-Switches-Commercial/dp/B01HIMC7EE/ref=pd_cp_60_2?pd_rd_w=L8IxA&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=HHQX9Q2VX3KZF4FQFZCH&pd_rd_r=58ac50a1-a4e3-11e9-8b3f-05565185fef1&pd_rd_wg=waPzp&pd_rd_i=B01HIMC7EE&psc=1&refRID=HHQX9Q2VX3KZF4FQFZCH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts