DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tested a fiber glass rope gasket replacement on stove door and it seemed to fit tightly enough. However, now that I've glued it on to the door, it doesnt feel air tight. I can almost turn the door handle completely around so the new gasket seems less air tight than the one i replaced.

How to fix this without taking it off and replacing it again?
Are these gaskets universal?

This one I got from Lowes (Imperial 5/8"rope). It does seem like a narrower rope than the one that came preinstalled on the woodstove.

·
Guapo
5,940 Posts
I doubt that the gaskets are universal. If you close the door with a piece of paper between the door & the stove, can you pull it or is it locked tight?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt that the gaskets are universal. If you close the door with a piece of paper between the door & the stove, can you pull it or is it locked tight?
I can pull it through. I rechecked my wood stove owner's manual & the gaskets are both 5/8".

·
retired painter
10,013 Posts
Most wood stoves don't have to have a complete airtight seal at the door although you don't want a loose fitting door. When I replaced mine I ended up with almost a 1/4" gap where the gasket wasn't long enough - never has been a problem. As noted above, a wood stove dealer will have a better selection of gaskets.

·
Guapo
5,940 Posts
NoSpammer wrote:
I can pull it through.
Mark wrote:
Most wood stoves don't have to have a complete airtight seal at the door although you don't want a loose fitting door.
I don't know where the happy medium is, on that. To me, a gasket is supposed to seal it.

·
retired painter
10,013 Posts
If the stove is operating properly the smoke will go up the chimney even while the door is open. IMO a less than perfect seal isn't an issue.

·
Administrator
39,654 Posts
If the stove is operating properly the smoke will go up the chimney even while the door is open. IMO a less than perfect seal isn't an issue.

On many stoves, the gasket's purpose isn't to prevent smoke from entering the house. Its to prevent air from being drawn in around the door. Both when your using it and hen your not using it.

Although there are many people, that don't care if their air tight stove, isn't air tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts