DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sliding doors that lead to the patio. They are wood, but covered with something, I cant tell if its some special paint or if its vinyl or something else? Its incredibly smooth and I dont know any way to describe it other than looks and feels like vinyl.

Its at least 15 years old and is showing some weathering, Id like to paint/repair it, or coat it if thats the proper way to handle this. Ive bought 2 different paints so far and none of them match the finish. I am not sure what to use here.

Anyone familiar with this and how to repair it? Thanks!

Here are some pictures:
Daytime Building Property Window Blue

Wood Floor Composite material Rectangle Tints and shades

·
retired painter
11,830 Posts
That does look like it might be vinyl coated, does it scrape/peel any?
IMO you have 2 options; either paint over it [won't be perfect] or replace.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,839 Posts
A factory Vinyl powder coating, most likely.

impossible to match, hard to fill the cracks., and get a decent look.

Probably out of warranty.

Best option is replacement.

ED

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, by replacement you mean replacement the whole door? Or is there a place that would "re-coat" it for me? (I am in Southern California if that makes a difference).

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,839 Posts
Inquire at Window and door replacement shops in your area.

They will know if there are any repairs that can be made.

Or will try to sell you an entirely new replacement, including the jamb, and installation if you so desire.

ED

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Is that not just a piece of trim? If so, you can just pop it off, and put new stuff in. It is hard to tell from the pic though.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
No its a coating on the wood, sort of like paint, but incredibly smooth.
Yes, I know that, thats not relevant to what I was saying... what is the piece? Can it just be pried off and replaced, or is it a permanent part of the jamb?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Reminds me of the Marvin door from that era. Look for a bug (watermark) in the corner of the glass somewhere. Yeah, looks like it needs paint pretty bad. Pretty sure their warranty puts all maintenance on you after a very short time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I know that, thats not relevant to what I was saying... what is the piece? Can it just be pried off and replaced, or is it a permanent part of the jamb?
Oh, the weathering is all over the doors so not just a single piece that needs touchups.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had a painter come out, he said he hasnt seen a door like that before, all wood inside and coated with vinyl. he said he'd only be able to sand it down and paint it.... Id really like to get the vinyl back on it... if anyone has any ideas I am all ears! (he quoted $400 for the job)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts