DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m new to the forum and new to home ownership. My husband and I recently bought a home built in 1975. It has thick, painted wood paneling throughout. Part of the house has vaulted wood ceilings and the other part has plywood ceilings. I know many houses from that era and before were built similarly. I’m wondering what can be done to help prevent fast moving fires? I see there is a paint additive that helps resist fire. Do I need to invest in this? I’d hate to paint the beautiful vaulted ceilings. What about investing in a sprinkler system or even just monitored smoke detectors? We are on a budget so that is a factor. Just curious what others have done if anything.

·
retired framer
59,630 Posts
If fire gets to the ceiling you will have so much damage the paint is not important.
I would look into hard wired smoke detectors that have a back up battery in them.
Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, not to close to the stove.
After that all you need to know is all the routes out and where you are going to meet outside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If fire gets to the ceiling you will have so much damage the paint is not important.
I would look into hard wired smoke detectors that have a back up battery in them.
Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, not to close to the stove.
After that all you need to know is all the routes out and where you are going to meet outside.
Thanks. I was reading about surviving a fire and basically not being impaired, really old or really young, and having working fire detectors are your best line of defense.

·
retired painter
13,125 Posts
They sell a fire retardant paint but IMO it wouldn't make a big difference in your home [I've only used it on a few select commercial jobs] Oil base paints will burn but latex paints mostly just melt. As you know fire detectors will do more than anything else that has a low cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.