DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering tiling the flooring area of a a rental property. However, it was suggested that wood laminate flooring might be a better way to go.

Easier to install and easier to replace the planks

But how about durability? The cost if buying laminated planks and installation is less expensive than tile.

However given the durability of tile is tile the better choice?

Thanks

·
Naildriver
10,644 Posts
Wrong person to ask, but I wouldn't put lower end laminate in a dog house. Life Proof is a good way to go with seemingly good durability. 5/8" click lock 5" hand scraped bamboo lasts well. Tile is forever, but cold and impersonal.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you’re looking for the durable material for the rental property the modern vinyl plank flooring could be a good choice.
The vinyl plank flooring is 100% water resistant. The surface water and spills won't affect the flooring and it’s durable enough to withstand heavy traffic.

·
Registered
37,181 Posts
I'm with tdisss on this one, you can not just "replace a damaged plank" with laminate!
Tile is great but hard to clean, needs resealing, far more prep work before laying if done right, higher cost to install.
My rental after 3 renters did 0 damage to the vinyl strip flooring I installed after removing the laminate flooring I had installed trying to "save money".
Easy DIY install with little or no prep.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm planning to remove the carpet in my rentals after the current renters leave. I have used linoleum for the kitchen and bathrooms but this hasn't worked too well in rentals. I've had bathrooms and kitchens where I have put down linoleum.flooring but after a few years minor splits begin to show. The photo below is what is used in one of my properties.

Now, my rentals aren't necessarily high end but having tile or synthetic plank flooring throughout the house makes it easier to clean as well as rent.

Attachments

·
Naildriver
10,644 Posts
You have to think damage control as well as aesthetics, even though the higher end vinyl planks cost more, your ROI may be better.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
I'm planning to remove the carpet in my rentals after the current renters leave. I have used linoleum for the kitchen and bathrooms but this hasn't worked too well in rentals. I've had bathrooms and kitchens where I have put down linoleum.flooring but after a few years minor splits begin to show. The photo below is what is used in one of my properties.

Now, my rentals aren't necessarily high end but having tile or synthetic plank flooring throughout the house makes it easier to clean as well as rent.
You shouldn't blame the product for improper installation.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,108 Posts
You shouldn't blame the product for improper installation.
Exactly right. Properly installed, it should not split.

·
Naildriver
10,644 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts