DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just had this Breezeblock fence built in front of our house to create a front courtyard and more privacy.

I am going to build my own gate which seems pretty simple and straightforward but I am not sure of the best direction to take in attaching it to the pillar.

Should I:

A) attach a wood post on either side (which I guess I need to do since I want this to have a handle and latch anyway) and attach the wood post to the brick pillar with EPOXY/GLUE and/OR Anchor bolts? Each pillar is filled with concrete and rebar.

or

B) attach the gate with hinges directly to the concrete pillars??

Any advice on the type of wood to use if I should go that route, and how to best attach it, would be appreciated.

The gate size will be 4' wide x 6'2" high leaving about 4" at the bottom to open and close.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure how heavy it will be but probably heavier than most as I'm using 2 x 6's instead of 2 x 4' for the construction of the gate then on top of that rathe than using wood slats I'm using marine grade plywood and then painting it all.

also the wood pillars ideally don't have to go into the ground as it's concrete there I guess I could use anchors there and screw those into the ground then into the wood then then wood into the concrete pillars??

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i will use 2 x 6"s on either side of the gate opening and anchor them into the concrete pillars with the concrete wedge anchors then i'll install the hinges to that and the door latch/lock assembly.

thanks !

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
I like a good functional sliding gate. They kind of stay where they are needed rather than swinging out in the way where they aren't needed too much.:biggrin2:

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
gate out of p/t'd 2x6's won't be significantly heavier than p/t'd 2x4's,,, wouldn't pick plywood' - even marine grade,,, suggest 3/8" anchors into mortar jnts rather than into cmu's

would be helpful to post where YOUR ' where ' is located when asking

1 - 8 of 8 Posts