DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Location is Miami, Florida. Single story building, concrete slab, concrete block stucco exterior walls.

One of the rooms where I am getting ready to redo the floors, I have a window and as I went to pull the baseboard below the window out, the section of the wall below the window fell apart as I pulled the baseboard. The sheetrock, and the structure behind it.

Here is a picture of the BEFORE.

These are pictures of the AFTER.

I was able to pull out the rotted wood framing under the window by hand without the need for any hand tools.

I adjusted the colors of the pic a bit so you can see the condition of the wood.

A step back showing the window.

The whole house is concrete block wall. This little part is wood support? Weird.

I started to remove some sheetrock to check a few things. To the right is a solid concrete column. The adjacent wall is concrete. There is an 18"-20" deep solid concrete tie beam all the way across the top of the wall including above the window, to the left is also concrete block wall. What the heck is going on here?

Measuring the width of this window is 72". Hmmm...my guess is there used to be a sliding glass door here to the backyard. Someone changed it to a window, and decided to use wood framing for the little section below the window. Then that someone decided to build a concrete planter on the outside, put dirt in it and planted stuff. That dirt is almost as high as the bottom of the window!!! No wonder everything rotted.

I measured the distance from the bottom of the window to the slab. 10.5". I could fit a course of 16X8X8 concrete blocks under there with 2.5" of gap, then make up the difference with solid concrete or PT lumber? I can possibly put a thin bed of hydraulic cement between the slab and block for the waterproofing. That planter outside has to go...I think.

Do I need to remove the entire window or can I leave it in place while I redo this? Is there any need to structurally anchor the new blocks to the slab if it's done left and right of it? Drill some holes and epoxy in a few rebars and fill the first and last block with mortar?

I have a feeling this was a sliding glass door. Will be making a trip to the city on Monday to look at old permits to see if anything turns up.

This is what I have now after cleaning up all the rotted wood. The window is sitting on air...The outside wall layer you see, is just a thin veneer of stucco LOL.

·
Registered
37,174 Posts
That was a 100% sure way to cause the wall to fail.
Loose the flower box and rebuild the wall after removing the window.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,221 Posts
I have seen that , where there was a small leak, and the wood got wet, then along came Carpenter Ants, and ate every stud in one wall of a storage shed, all that was holding up the roof was the outer siding, and the inner sheeting.

So I think that you have a wet area, and bugs are nesting and eating there.

Do you have any termite tubes near the area outside?

You should be able to block most of the thing up , might use brick ties, just for peace of mind.

ED

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The good news is the wood rot is isolated. I looked at the adjacent concrete walls and exposed the first few wood furring strips and they are solid.

There is dry wood termites inside the house so I will need to tent fumigate soon. I didn't see any mud tubes from subterranean termites but I will be soaking this with Termicide heavily anyway.

If you build a wall with wood framing why would you put a planter outside and fill it with dirt and plant and even ran a sprinkler line there?

Those planters are also build with blocks. I guess I will have a lot of concrete debris.

Unless I keep the concrete planters and fill it with concrete, then it will be a "bench" outside the window hahaha.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,221 Posts
That's what you need outside the window. Benches.

That way when you go to look out the window all you see is Plumbers butts.

ED

1 - 5 of 5 Posts