DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have area in between my back yard and neighbors back yard that has accumulated years of fallen down tree lims and power company trimming.

The area is the low part of our back yards where water naturally runs but not a creek. Kinda of muddy mess.

What would be a good size tree chipper i can move by hand to run lims threw and leave chips and dust in the area?
Biggest tree lim no more than 5 to 6 inches with the majority being much smaller.
I would need and prefer something i can move with by hand and possibly fit 3 foot gate open.
If i have to go bigger there is a chance i can access entrance threw other neighbors yards and i could use a 4 wheeler to tow tree chipper.
Im concerned about to big equipment getting stuck and 4 wheeler rutting yard trying to pull heavy equipment.

Thank you

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
Visit and talk to your local rental company but moving by hand and a 3' wide limitation sounds difficult. Here in Maine work in the woods is often limited to after the ground is frozen solid.

One approach might be a smaller chipper to take care of the trash and cut the rest into a convenient length and stack between trees, it looks much neater that way and then the stacks can be taken out next year or whenever is convenient.

I cleared a modest area on my camp lot and just stacked everything into one huge pile. Unfortunately I did not get back during snow time to burn it. Several years later it was gone, I mean flat. Mother nature can take care of much of it in her own way. just needs to look neat while you wait.

Bud

·
Usually Confused
7,393 Posts
When you drop into your rental shops, you will want to know the rough diameter of the material you want to shred. Also, some machines handle fresh wood better than stuff that has been lying on ground for a few years and started to go punky.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,899 Posts
I have area in between my back yard and neighbors back yard that has accumulated years of fallen down tree lims and power company trimming.

The area is the low part of our back yards where water naturally runs but not a creek. Kinda of muddy mess.

What would be a good size tree chipper i can move by hand to run lims threw and leave chips and dust in the area?
Biggest tree lim no more than 5 to 6 inches with the majority being much smaller.
I would need and prefer something i can move with by hand and possibly fit 3 foot gate open.
If i have to go bigger there is a chance i can access entrance threw other neighbors yards and i could use a 4 wheeler to tow tree chipper.
Im concerned about to big equipment getting stuck and 4 wheeler rutting yard trying to pull heavy equipment.

Thank you
Ayuh,...... Wood That big requires a pretty big tow-behind chipper,......

Maybe use Bud's idea, 'n chip up the small stuff, then block up, 'n stack the larger wood,.....
Or,.... Block it up, 'n toss it into the lower wet spots, where it'll rot really quickly, slightly fillin' in the low spots,....

·
Registered
740 Posts
To get one that can truly handle even 3" diameter limbs you want to rent one from a rental yard or Home Depot. If it is too difficult to move to the brush pile then hire a kid to help drag the brush to the chipper (that is what the pro's do anyway with their larger chippers).

I cannot find a good gardener in my area but finding guys to do brush removal for a fixed price is very easy.

·
Registered
14,327 Posts
To get one that can truly handle even 3" diameter limbs you want to rent one from a rental yard or Home Depot. If it is too difficult to move to the brush pile then hire a kid to help drag the brush to the chipper (that is what the pro's do anyway with their larger chippers).

I cannot find a good gardener in my area but finding guys to do brush removal for a fixed price is very easy.
Hmm

Interesting

What is a good gardener?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts