DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second attempt because the first post didn't look right.. Okay here is alittle better explanation with pictures... When I shut the switch off thats hooked up already, the black on the left stays hot... As you can see, the red wire is labeled fan.. So my question is , do i get a double switch and use the red obviously for the fan and then the black for the light??/ And when it comes to the other end, there is a black, red and white wire along with ground.. How do those get connected to the fan?? The fan has a blue, white and off white wire...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Is that a picture of a box in the ceiling or a switch box on the wall. What switch are you turning off? I dont see one in your picture.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a picture of the light switches on the wall... The switch on the right is controlling the light above the sink location... When I switch it off, the black on the left stays hot and the red is dead... So that makes the black the constant hot correct???

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You do need a double switch, but there is something wrong with the wiring in that box. The black that stays on cannot go to the light, because it is a source, not a load wire. What was the configuration before you pulled the switch out and disconnected the red and black wires that are showin in the photo?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There wasnt a switch hooked up because i just installed the fan/light fixture ... I already added a single switch and that second switch controls the fan.. The light in that fixture comes on when the vanity light is switched on...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts