DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting in service wiring for a new heat pump unit and a nearby hot tub enclosure. Two 50 amp circuits plus one 20 amp circuit for a couple outlets by hot tub for lights, stereo, etc.
The power is coming from an indoor 200 amp main panel. I am planning a large conduit inside the wall to an outside wall in porch. Large junction box (no joints planned, just a feed through), then fed to an exterior porch wall to a large junction box. from there, an underground pvc conduit to AC disconnect, and another PVC conduit to hot tub area.
The heat pump does not need a neutral, but the hot tub does(for the control circuit board).
So far, it looks like the first conduit will contain 4 #6, 2 #12 conductors.
For ground, can I use one conductor for all and splice to the three circuits? What size should that ground be?
Or should I run separate ground for each system?
(I was an electrician in the 70s, mostly commercial and industrial installations and service, so my residential and official code knowledge is a bit rusty. I can make it safe, but it's probably good if I can make it legal, too. It seems that the electrical systems for a sixty foot bridge crane are not that much like a hot tub!)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I thought that a 50 amp circuit only requires #10 ground, legally. Logically speaking, a ground only carries any current for mere microseconds before the breaker trips.
Hot tubs sometimes require a grounding conductor equal in size to the power conductors. Read the installation manual. The electrical inspector will be going by the manufacturer's requirements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.