DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a junction box in my basement ceiling that has wiring for one hot wire from fuse box, one switch from living room and 7 plugs from the living room. I want to wire just 2 of the plugs to be controlled by the switch. And then the rest of the 5 plugs wired as normal. (On all the time). I have no red wires at all. How do I do this? Each plug is wired straight down to the junction box. So, I have a total of 9 cables going into my junction box. And of course I have 3 wires on each cable. (Black, white and ground). I know to tie all the grounds together. I am guessing I tie the black wires from two plugs I want connected to switch to the hot black wire from fuse box. And tie together the white wires from the two plugs I want connected to switch to the hot white wire from fuse box. Then, I guess I would pigtail or add a jumper wire from those two connections to the rest of the white and black wires and tie the rest of the black and rest of the white wires together. I will attach a picture of what it will look like minus the ground wires. Thanks and hope you can help me out.

Attachments

·
Naildriver
16,992 Posts
Unless I misunderstand you, you will not be able to do what you want from this junction box. It must be done AFTER the switch. Are all the receptacles live, now? or are they switched?

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,117 Posts
Identify the cable coming from the breaker (hot) and the cable coming from the switch (it is the one with the white wire connected to the black hot). Connect the switch black to the 2 blacks to the receptacles you want switched. Connect the switch white (mark this wire black with black tape) to the supply hot along with all the rest of the blacks. Connect the rest of the whites to the supply white. Connect all grounds together.

Sent from my RCT6A03W13E using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rjniles....So basically I have the hot wire (black) tied into the white from switch (With black tape on it) and the 5 black wires from the full power plugs. Then, the hot (white wire) ties in all the white wires (5 from full power plugs and 2 from switch operated plugs). Then, the two black wires from the switch powered plugs get tied into just the black wire from switch. Is this correct?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.