DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting in electrical service for storage containers, and a roof in-between them, chicken coop, pond pump, a gate and maybe future irrigation. I am using CSED and will have a box on the bottom. First question how deep does my 2" sch 80 vertical conduit go, 18"? The utility company will bury their service 24", not in conduit.
For the storage containers I will put in some receptacles and lights, it would be nice to use the same cable inside and out. How should I wire these? The CSED will be next to one container.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another question, can I drive my grounding rods in the trench of the service cable? It would be less digging and less likelihood of hit with future digging.

·
Master Electrician
4,603 Posts
In my mind CSED is an acronym for Combination Service Entrance Device. What does CSED denote in your mind?

·
Master Electrician
4,603 Posts
Without knowing the details of the proposed installation I would be inclined to use conduit throughout.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What other details would help?

Can I use a multi strand wire, larger than 6ga for the ground/bonding to two ground rods? I have it on hand.

·
Master Electrician
4,603 Posts
What other details would help?

Can I use a multi strand wire, larger than 6ga for the ground/bonding to two ground rods? I have it on hand.
6 gauge copper is the maximum required by the NEC to grounding rods. Stranded or solid.
Personally, I would not put grounding rods in the service lateral trench.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6 gauge copper is the maximum required by the NEC to grounding rods. Stranded or solid.
Personally, I would not put grounding rods in the service lateral trench.
Why not?

What other details would help you give advice?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am doing something similar to what you are doing, here is my thread maybe it will help: http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/new-service-project-thread-520130/

I too wanted to use a CSED but it turns out I saved about $800 getting separate panels. However I did 400A (320A cont.) service as the service will someday supply a house and a shop in conjunction with the storage containers.

Mine is all inspected, everything I did passed, still waiting for the POCO to show up pull the HV cable and set the transformer.

·
Naildriver
10,627 Posts
There will most likely be a bonding between the two or more metal structures as well, so don't forget that.

·
Naildriver
10,627 Posts
Wire it all in pvc conduit and plastic boxes using THWN individual wires run through the conduit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wire it all in pvc conduit and plastic boxes using THWN individual wires run through the conduit.
One of the containers I bought already had light fixtures & outlets in it, all wired up with EMT conduit, so I am sticking with all metal boxes etc.

I think even if I were to start with an empty container I'd use EMT and steel boxes, ground wires back to the sub panel etc.

·
Naildriver
10,627 Posts
That's fine. You just asked how to wire it. If they are wired, then your problem is solved.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's fine. You just asked how to wire it. If they are wired, then your problem is solved.
Well no, I'm not the OP, he was the one asking, I was sharing how mine was wired.

I know ppl use a lot of PVC these days, but in a metal building when everything is exposed, I guess I prefer the look of EMT and metal boxes, but it sounds as though that is not required.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
I want to minimize holes in the container. Is there a good way to glue on boxes?
I've seen it done by a company that wires these containers commercially, using polyurethane adhesive (like PL or liquid nails). They hit the surface with a grinder first, then use plenty of adhesive. Not sure how well that holds up in the long run though. Self-drilling screws seem better to me.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,830 Posts
I would glue a wood block to the container and screw box to that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts