DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just moved and I’m wiring in our smart switches. I have done this several times and not had a problem with it but I am completely lost with this switch box... it’s a single pole switch that controls a light AND ceiling fan. Inside there is a ground wire that is bare copper, a white wire, and then three other wires. It’s my guess that one is load and the other two are hot, but I have not had any luck. Any advice would be appreciated. I’ve never seen 5 wires go to one switch before.

·
Naildriver
12,169 Posts
Could you post a picture of the inside of this box showing the connections to the original switch? That way we can see what you see.

·
Naildriver
12,169 Posts
You'll need a multimeter or voltage tester and with the wires as they are, check to see which is the hot wire. We can go from there.

·
Super Moderator
21,815 Posts
Since the fan is on the ceiling it is likely that the cable exiting the top of the box is the fan. Connect the black to the LOAD of your smart switch.
The two cables from the bottom are power in and power out. Connect both blacks to the line of your smart switch.
Connect the smart switch neutral the white bundle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts