DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the bad pic. I have a master bedroom with 7 switches. A 3-gang set on top on one circuit, and a 4-gang on bottom on another circuit. There is also 2 remote panels (hardwired) by the bed to control the lights. The room had drywall replaced and the guys just left the switches hanging because they didn't want to touch it.

Anyway, I was able to put new switches and get them all to work except one (for the mini recessed lights). It used to work, and I wired it the same way but it's not working. The wiring is unique to this one though compared to the others. The others are all 2-wire romex (black, white and ground) - grounds together, neutrals together, and the load going to the switch. The last one is a (A) 2-wire - the ground and the neutral are tied to others, but the black is wire nutted to the red wire of a (B) 3-wire (red, black, white and ground). I'm not really sure why it's done that way. I connected the black wire to the load of the switch but it doesn't work, even though it used to.

Thanks for reading and I'm not sure if anyone can really help without looking at it, but the most vexing part about this is that it worked and only stopped working once I replaced the switch. I'm wondering if I should untie the from black (A) to red (B) and just connect the black (A) to the load of the switch.

Registered
Hi, are you sure that you have power to one side of that switch? check for voltage between line side of switch to neutral.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Geo. Yes, there is another 2 wire romex (lets call it C) that I assume is coming from the breaker because that is the line. I have a wago connector feeding the line to all 3 switches. Should i check for voltage between the line and the neutral of wire A?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Geo, I created a diagram because hopefully it'll make more sense. The problem is switch 3, but it's wired differently. Not sure why the neutrals are tied into another breaker, maybe this was just done wrong from the beginning?

Super Moderator
Normally neutrals are not needed for a switch. Smart switches are the exception.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts