DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm trying to add a switch that can control my bi-directional 110v motor because I'm building a metal roller powered by a motor.

I bought this joystick from Amazon but it doesn't come with instructions.
If anyhow can give me a hand, I would really appreciate it.

When I switch the Black and White wires on terminals #1 & #4, that changes the direction of the motor. Just didn't know how to wire the joystick.

Had a serious brain injury and it's hard for me to understand new concepts so If you can break it down in the most simplest way possible, that would be awesome.

Thanks, Dave

·
Naildriver
17,058 Posts

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
When I switch the Black and White wires on terminals #1 & #4, that changes the direction of the motor. Just didn't know how to wire the joystick.
Look closely at the label. It says to reverse, switch black and blue on terminals 1 and 2.

You’re trying to swap black and white on terminals 1 and 4, because that is easier for you to do.

That’s not going to work. This is AC power or alternating current power. It’s already self-reversing 120 times a second. Swapping AC wires does nothing. In Europe, the plugs are symmetrical i.e. flippable, and vacuum cleaners work fine either way.

That’s a hard concept if you’ve worked in low voltage DC power your whole life.

So you’re thinking “Well, that’s just a terminal block, internally 4 connects to 2”. I don’t think so. I think under that terminal block is hiding a bridge rectifier. So black and blue actually see 110V DC. Reversing that has effect!

Your problem is a geographical one. You were hoping to have the reversing switch in the AC power lead on the way to the motor. In fact, you will have to bring AC to the motor, and then come back to the switch, and you’ll need 4 wires + safety ground. They make 12/4 and 12/2/2 cable that would be perfect for that.

The switch will need to be wired in a “reversing switch” arrangement, so one of these:

- designed only to be a reversing switch, with 4 terminals.
- a common DPDT switch, and then you have to cross the non-common terminals in the usual “DPDT as reversing switch” layout.
- A common, off-the-shelf “4-way” light switch, typically under $10. Make sure it can handle the current. Also the switch must not interrupt DC current; the motor must be off and stopped to throw the switch.

The neat thing about the common 4-way switch is that it’s easy to do a NEC Code compliant installation. You must comply with Code because your voltage is too high voltage to comply with the relaxed low-voltage rules.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.