DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I know this has probably been covered somewhere on this forum but I cant seem to find it. I currently have a room with a plug that is powered by a switch and wanted to covert it so that the switch will power an overhead light.

Here are the details:

Single pole switch
Top connector - white wire
Bottom Connector - black wire
and of course the (bare) ground wire is attached to the ground screw

Outlet
right side (gold screws) black wire on each
left side (silver screws) white wire on each
and of course the (bare) ground wire attached o the green ground screw.

any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hello,
I know this has probably been covered somewhere on this forum but I cant seem to find it. I currently have a room with a plug that is powered by a switch and wanted to covert it so that the switch will power an overhead light.
You want the switch to power a light and the outlet or just power the light?

If just power the light, what is your intention with the outlet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: wiring question

Sorry I should been more specific. I would like the switch to power just the light and the plug to be a regular plug if possible. Or it could still be powered by the switch, whatever is easier (only the bottom plug is powered by the switch)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Is this a new light that you are installing and can you run a wire from the outlet junction box to the light?

On a duplex receptacle, there is a tab that connects the screws on each side (the two dark together and the two silver together).
When an electrician wants to switch one outlet, normally he will break the tab only on the hot side, running one always hot to one screw ; and one switched hot to the other screw (on the same side).

You will probably have to remove the switched hot and jumper the always hot between the two screws with pigtails.

Then take the switched hot to the light. Neutrals connected together.

Make sure this is all on one breaker!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will a new light. The attic is right above the room so it should be easy eunning the wires with my snake into the atyic. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
350 Posts
Spend $2.50 on a new plug with the tabs intact. It will save some pigtailing.

Also it is proper to mark the white wire at the switch with black tape to identify it as a hot conductor, and on the other end as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts