DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ripped out the old lights and now I have the two wires that were running to them all. From my tests one wire has constant power and one line never has power so I'm assuming(and from tracing) that the one that never has power is connected to the three way switches. I'm replacing the lights that were up there with recessed lights so I need a way to wire them correctly but I can't seem to wrap my head around the three way end of line deal. I'm pretty sure this is how it works(see image).

Attachments

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Everything is fine except the cable between switches needs to be 14/3. Investigate how the wiring is done between switches and tell us exactly what wires are connected to each switch. It would appear from your drawing that incoming power comes to one of the light fixtures first then to the switches.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Opps, yeah, I don't know the wire between the switches but I would say it would have to be 14/3. The two wires that are going to the light are 14/2, one with constant power and one with no power(right now). Here are some more pictures, one with the two wires I'm talking about** that went to the light and the other is the old light with the two wires going into it.

**The one that's connected is the constant power, this is feed outlets so I had to hook it back up. The white one hanging is the "other one" that doesn't have power no matter what switches I turn on.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Everything is fine except the cable between switches needs to be 14/3. Investigate how the wiring is done between switches and tell us exactly what wires are connected to each switch. It would appear from your drawing that incoming power comes to one of the light fixtures first then to the switches.
This is what happened; I just need to figure out how to wire up the new lights so this works again. The old lights had power coming from the constant source and then the write came out of the light and to the switch. I remember that the black and white are "hot" with this type of setup but I'm not sure how to hook this up to multiple lights together. Updated wire diagram.

Attachments

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
OK

Turn of the power at the breaker. Call the fixture that has the incoming power (constant hot) light 1 and the other light 2. Call the switch box that has the cable going to it from light 1 where incoming power is... switch 1... and the other switch 2. You will also have a 14/2 between lights.

Connect the incoming power black (constant hot) at light 1 to the white of the 14/2 going to switch one. Mark the white with black magic marker to identify it as a hot wire.

Connect the white of light one together with the white to light 2 and the incoming power white.

Connect the black of the 14/2 going to switch one to the black of light one and the black of the 14/2 going to light 2.

At switch 1 connect the white of the 14/2 coming from light one to the black of the 14/3 going to switch 2 in a wirenut. Color a bit of the white with black marker.

Connect the black of the 14/2 coming from light one to the common terminal of switch 1 (the common terminal is the darker colored one).

Connect the red of the 14/3 to either one of the brass colored traveler terminals of switch one. Connect the white of the 14/3 to the other traveler screw of switch one. Mark the white with black marker as a hot wire.

At switch 2 connect the black of the 14/3 to the dark colored common terminal screw. Connect the red and white to the brass traveler screws.

Light 2 is just black to black and white to white and connect the ground.

Connect all grounds to switches and pigtail to metal boxes if you have metal boxes.

·
Super Moderator
22,188 Posts
We need more cables. You have power in cable, a power out to receptacles cables and and one other cable. You need to have one cable for the other light and one for the switch or you need a 14/3 cable and the other light has a second cable.

·
Super Moderator
22,188 Posts
You have the right cables now. The drawing is good. All you need is the black on the common screw at the far switch and the power white on the common screw at the first switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts