DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I need assistance re-wiring my transformer. Apparently, my old transformer burned out because two wires caused a short. However, when I went to the supply house they sold me a universal transformer with 6 wireshi and I'm kinda confused on how to wire it. Could all all look at the pic and tell me which wire goes where?

I always thought "white" was com and black carried the 120 but on my new transformer it's saying the opposite.

Please help.

Thank you all so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Follow what the new one says.

White is 120v
Black is common.

Red and blue wires are unused and capped with wire nuts.

If the black wire from your power source was connected to the black wire on your old transformer as 120v, that black wire from the power source will be your 120v source wire and will now be spliced to the white wire on the new transformer.

The white wire from your power source was the common and will now be spliced to the black wire on the new transformer.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
Follow what the new one says.

White is 120v
Black is common.

Red and blue wires are unused and capped with wire nuts.

If the black wire from your power source was connected to the black wire on your old transformer as 120v, that black wire from the power source will be your 120v source wire and will now be spliced to the white wire on the new transformer.

The white wire from your power source was the common and will now be spliced to the black wire on the new transformer.
The "Com" on the primary doesn't have to be on neutral. Their colour coding is a bit different then I'm used to but, I'd still probably connect black to black and white to white just to keep things simple. It'll still work perfectly fine, with the side benefit of the unused wires being lower voltage to ground. I agree with you otherwise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts