DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing old outlets, many of which are connected serially.

Does it matter if the "incoming black and white pair" are both on the top terminal and the "outgoing" are both on the bottom terminals (or vice versa)?

They are connected together electrically by a brass piece so it seems there should be no difference.

Thanks

No GFCI, no switch outlets etc.

·
Master Electrician
4,603 Posts
I am replacing old outlets, many of which are connected serially.

Does it matter if the "incoming black and white pair" are both on the top terminal and the "outgoing" are both on the bottom terminals (or vice versa)?

They are connected together electrically by a brass piece so it seems there should be no difference.

Thanks

No GFCI, no switch outlets etc.
No problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know it is not what you want to hear, but I would make pigtails to each outlet. In the long run, it is the better option. But as long as the blacks (hot) are both on the brass side and the whites (neutral) are both on the silver side, you'll be OK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know it is not what you want to hear, but I would make pigtails to each outlet. In the long run, it is the better option. But as long as the blacks (hot) are both on the brass side and the whites (neutral) are both on the silver side, you'll be OK.
Do you mean tie the two wires together with a short third one and connect the other end of the short one to the outlet?

Same strategy for both the black and white lines?

What is the advantage of this?

Thanks

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
Yes, that is pigtailing. the advantage is you are not depending on the device to make the connection between incoming and outgoing power. It is also one less connection to make on the device.

·
Just call me Andrew
2,279 Posts
Yes, that is pigtailing. the advantage is you are not depending on the device to make the connection between incoming and outgoing power. It is also one less connection to make on the device.
The downside is it takes up more room in the box. This could be a problem with a very shallow box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts