DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a 10/3 wg romex thru a conduit from my basement to a detached garage. It is the electrical grey pvc conduit. I have two conduits running to the garage, a 1" and a 1/2 ". The one inch has a 10/2 wg romex that goes into a fuse box in the garage to power the opener, lights and a outlet. The 1/2 inch was put in to run a phone wire to the garage, but that never happened.
I tried fishing the 10/3 into the 1 inch, but could not get it thru. The 1/2 inch was not even close to working. So, the run is 28 feet and it goes under a concrete patio. In despair, I stripped off 30 feet of the orange romex jacket. I then was able to fish the white and cooper ground thru the 1 inch conduit and the red and black thru the 1/2 inch. I will then put one of those pull juntion box on each conduit right below where I make the connection. Will feed the white and ground wire thru the tee in 1/2 inch into the 1/2 box with the red and black and feed all wires in conduit about 8 inches into a generator locking connector. In the basement, the remaining in tact romex will be run to the panel box for hookup to a transfer switch or generator interlock. Not decided on that yet. What are the thoughts on the way I did this wiring. All the un- jacketed wire is in conduit to the box. Thanks for your opinions.

·
Super Moderator
16,910 Posts
In addition, the wires all need to run in the same conduit.

You can run individual conductors much easier than a stiff cable in conduit.

Reactions: CodeMatters

·
Naildriver
16,993 Posts
How far from the panel is the garage? You may only need to pull 4 each 12 gauge stranded THWN, red/black/white/green. It will pull so much easier and will be code compliant while in conduit. Although you have a second conduit, you can't use it for another run to the garage, as only one circuit is allowed.

You note I said "Pulled", not pushed. You should use wire pulling string, vacuumed through the conduit with a "rat" on the end, then pull the THWN.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
It works and it is code compliant are so far apart on this one.
They have to be in the same conduit.
NM is not for a wet location, UF is.
Your conductors are not labeled along their length.
30 amps needs at least 10 gauge.
Go to the home center and buy 50 foot spools of 10 gauge THWN in white, red, black and green. Hook them to the wires in the larger conduit and pull them through.

Reactions: Chris130

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two questions in regards to stranded wire. Should I put some type of connector on the leads that go into the generator plug. The plug just has an insert for the wire and a screw to hold it. Seems to me not a good connection for stranded wire. Also when I come out of the conduit in the basement, could I put a box and connect the romex to the stranded wire and run the romex to the panel. Have drop ceiling in the basement with very low clearance to the floor joist. If so, best way to join stranded and romex? Wire nuts or other type connector?

·
Naildriver
16,993 Posts
Those pressure plates are the best type to use with stranded wire, so you're good. You can jbox the THHN and Romex , but the Romex must be protected once it emerges the jbox.

·
Super Moderator
16,910 Posts
Wire nuts are fine for stranded to solid. Slightly lead the stranded past the solid.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Find an actual electrical supply house to purchase your material. They can also guide you on what you need and what is allowed. Plus the price for wire will be so much less that a stupid box store.

·
Super Moderator
16,910 Posts
Find an actual electrical supply house to purchase your material. They can also guide you on what you need and what is allowed. Plus the price for wire will be so much less that a stupid box store.
Supply houses will not typically cut small wire gauges. You buy the whole spool.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Wherever you get the wire, make sure it is THHN/THWN (dual rated) or THWN rated and says that on the wire. Either of those is OK but plain THHN is not OK since it's not rated for wet area application, which U/G pvc is considered to be by code. I see plain THHN being sold at the big box stores so just wanted to warn you.

On your U/G #10 pull, stranded is recommended, it'll pull easier in case it's a crooked run. You need not buy a fish tape if you don't already have one, you can use a pull line for the job. Just tie a piece of plastic bag to some 1/4" poly rope (or whatever) or some mule tape and either blow it through with your air hose or suck it through with a shop vac. A small tuft of the bag that fits to block the air flow is all it takes (think bow tie shaped, tied in the center, then tie or tape the ends together)... not too big and tight or it may get jammed. Then you'll have a nice pull line to yank those #10's in with. It helps to have someone feed them in while you pull or else you risk barking the insulation as they go in.

Good luck.

ps. You won't likely find 50' spools at a supply house but it doesn't hurt to try. Their stock in trade is 500' stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I have an account at a local electric supply house. Their price for the romex i bought was $37 and change vs $72 at Home D. I have a plan in place now. Get the red,black, white and green in the stranded wire. I'll pull out the romex wires and replace with the stranded. At the other end I'll junction the stranded and romex and run the romex to the panel. (how is romex actually spelled?)
I only wish I would have inquired at this site before I started the job. If in the future, If I plan another wiring project, I'll check with you guys first.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,117 Posts
Romex with a capital R. It is a brand name for a NM (non-metalic) cable. Rome wire company, Rome, NY.
It is the Kleenix of electrical cable.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.