DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, hoping you can help, here's the situation. Just moved into a new house. In the kitchen, there are 4 switches on the wall. In the kitchen itself there are 5 recessed lights, and then in the center there was a junction box that was capped (either for a light or fan that may have been there prior). The only switches I knew that worked, from left to right, were the 2nd and 3rd (2nd was for the fan in the family room and 3rd is the recessed lights).

I decided to remove the cap, and install a sputnik chandelier there (see pictures for reference). I got it all hooked up, thinking maybe it was connected to the 1st or 4th switch, however the bad news is that the sputnik fixture is connected with the recessed lighting on the 3rd switch. So when I turn the 3rd switch on, the fixture and the recessed lights come on. I want the fixture on its own switch. Also the first switch wasn't even connected to anything, and the 4th switch I have no clue what it's purpose is.

Anyways I have attached the 4 switch area wiring for review. The fixture junction box I didnt get to take a picture, but I can tell you this is how it was setup:

1) There were wires coming in from each end. A blue wire was twisted to another blue wire and capped with an acorn. A white wire was twisted with a grey wire and capped with an acorn. A green wire was connected with a copper ground wire and capped with an acorn. An orange wire was not connected to anything. I simply connected the white wire from my sputnik fixture to the white and grey wire that were already connected. I connected the black wire from my sputnik chandelier to the blue wires that were already connected.

What next steps/actions do I take based on the junction box wiring I described and the picture of the light switch box to be able to move the sputnik chandlier on its own light switch (either #1 or #4). Thanks so much for any assistance you can provide!!!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,937 Posts
Look like you have conduit so you can pull in a new wire for the new fixture. Use the old wire as a pull string and pull in two new wires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any way around having to fish wires? Nothing from my current setup at the light switches that I can change around to get it to work?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Without knowing where all those wires go or their purpose there isn't much me can do. You are going to have to identify which wire is doing what .

·
Super Moderator
20,937 Posts
We need to know what is in the fixture box. Unless there are some unused wires in that box then adding wires is the only solution.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That 4th switch from left to right with the orange and red wire isn't being used....as its not switching on anything. The 1st switch from the left to right is the same, but that's a blue and red wire which aren't both hot...so I don't really get it. May just have to get an electrician but was hoping to avoid it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We need to know what is in the fixture box. Unless there are some unused wires in that box then adding wires is the only solution.
The only unused wire up in the ceiling fixture box was an orange wire. The green I used with the copper ground from the fixture. There was a grey and blue already twisted to one another, and a white and grey twisted to one another.

·
Super Moderator
20,937 Posts
Is there an orange wire connected to a switch that doesn't do anything? If there is then connect the fixture to it and try the switch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the 4th switch from left to right, you will see in the pics has an orange cable connected to the switch and a red cable. Up in my fixture junction box, I twist on the orange cable with which ones, the two blues already wired in the junction box and the black wire from the fixture?

·
Super Moderator
20,937 Posts
Only to the black wire from the fixture. Leave the others connected as they were before you installed the fixture.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry now I'm really confused by your last comment. Speaking strictly about the ceiling fixture junction box , before I hooked up my fixture wiring, there were two openings from both sides of the junction box where wires were coming from. there were 2 blue wires total which were twisted together at the ends and capped. there was also a white and separate grey wire that were twisted together and capped at the end. I took my sputnik fixture and twisted the black wire onto to the 2 other blue wires and capped it. I then took the white wire from my fixture and twisted that wire onto the white and grey wires that were already twisted together.

So basically, what im asking is do I connect the orange wire that's already in the ceiling junction box to the 2 blue wires and the black wire that were twisted together. Therefore 4 wire ends will be twisted together and capped (2 blue, 1 black, 1 orange). is this correct? I would then try to turn the 4th switch on the wall plate on, the one that has orange and red connected to it to see if it will turn on just the fixture and not the recessed lighting in the ceiling.

is this correct?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay got it you are a lifesaver. orange connected to the black and left the 2 blues connected separately. 4th switch worked!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts