DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Franklin Electric inst-o-verse motor. 1/2 hp 1725 rpm 115vac motor. model #1101451403.

going to use it to run an air compressor. the motor has no wiring diagram. when taken out of service it had black, red, white wires and I assume ground through greenfield flexible conduit.

I assume white is neutral, and black is one rotation and red the other rotation. internally black is connected to line2, which is on the bottom, and red is connected in the middle. white is on the top. neither red or white are marked on the terminal plate.

I will not need to reverse the motor but will need ccw rotation. this is a cap start frame 56 motor.

thanks for any wiring info.

bernie

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I have a Franklin Electric inst-o-verse motor. 1/2 hp 1725 rpm 115vac motor. model #1101451403.

going to use it to run an air compressor. the motor has no wiring diagram. when taken out of service it had black, red, white wires and I assume ground through greenfield flexible conduit.

I assume white is neutral, and black is one rotation and red the other rotation. internally black is connected to line2, which is on the bottom, and red is connected in the middle. white is on the top. neither red or white are marked on the terminal plate.

I will not need to reverse the motor but will need ccw rotation. this is a cap start frame 56 motor.

thanks for any wiring info.

bernie
You are most likely correct. Red is one direction and black is the other.
When you say internal, what do you mean?
The connection box on the motor or the switch that changes the direction?

You say bottom, but do not provide any information as to what bottom you are talking about.

If it was my motor, I would remove the wires extending and open up the connection box on the motor.
Then post or take pictures of these wires inside this box.

And since you have not told us much, take a picture of everything you got, so we can try and figure out what you are talking about.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trying to down load a picture, having trouble.

The terminal plate in the motor has the top terminal labeled "line 1" and the neutral is attached to it (white wire). The center terminal is not marked and the red is attached to it. The bottom terminal labeled "line 2 " and has the black wire attached to it. These are the only terminals on the junction block.

I will try to attach the photo later.

thanks,

bernie

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Thanks for the photo. But it does not help much. But we do know you meant there is a terminal board inside the motor connection box.

Now tell us what each terminal is labeled. How is each terminal marked?

And double check the inside of the cover you removed. There could be a wiring diagram on the inside of the cover or on the nameplate.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
first, thanks for replies.

No schematic anywhere. looks like it has been rubbed off of the name tag with motor info.

On the terminal board it is wired as follows:

white power cord to brown motor lead
red power cord to purple motor lead
black power cord to black motor lead

This motor has a relay which is spdt.
relay coil is operated by purple and orange.
the orange is switched to either a blue or red lead to the motor.

as soon as I find my spare ohm meter I am going to check out the wiring. (My regular one is out on loan).

At this point I am guessing power is applied to black and white. applying power to red reverses direction if the purple wire on the terminal board is the same as the purple wire on the relay.

when in service this motor was used to open and close a net to separate a basketball court into two half courts.

bernie

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Confirmed that the purple wire which is connected to the red line wire goes to the relay coil. Also, measuring between red, black and white line wires in all combinations the resistance is 0 ohms. All 3 line wires are infinite to ground.

The start cap has one green wire to a terminal and two black wires to the other terminal. one black wire is tagged with white tape.

I can not find any info on line about the motor. Franklin is now a part of Buffington.

thanks,

bernie

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Sounds like you have done an awful lot of work so far. Good job.
Yes. To reverse a single phase motor, you must swap leads #5 (Blk) and #8 (Rd).

It looks to be exactly as you described it in your first post.

It sounds as if this motor and switch are already connected from your description?
It sounds like you are ready to apply power to the motor via the switch if the switch was/is already wired for you?

Using the White as the neutral, apply 120 volts to the red wire. Motor should turn.
" ", apply 120 volts to the black wire. Motor should turn in the opposite direction.

Verify the switch is doing what you are doing when you run it like described above.
All the switch does, is swap the red and black leads.

Let us know Bernie.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the input.

I just don't want to let the magic smoke out. It is very hard to put it back in!!!

I will post back with results. Won't be till early in the week.

again thanks,

bernie

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
thanks for the input.

I just don't want to let the magic smoke out. It is very hard to put it back in!!!

I will post back with results. Won't be till early in the week.

again thanks,

bernie
You have to try and run it sooner or later. Might as well be sooner.

ps...........Bumping this motor over for a second or two will/should not hurt anything. Do you have an amp clamp to measure the current once it runs?

If this motor is very important to you, you could find a local motor repair shop and have them test it.
This way you are not responsible for any released smoke.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea, the smoke is still in the motor. ran it both forward and backwards, cw and ccw. however the no load current is not as expected. FLA on the tag is 9.4 A

running ccw i measured 9 A and cw 10 A on my analog amprobe clamp on. then I dug out my cheap digital ac/dc clamp on. same results.

the motor starts smoothly and is quiet in either direction.

I am taking it to work tomorrow and having an electrician look at it. I sub at a votech school and there are 4 staff (lic. electrians). I spoke to 1 today and said to bring it in.

maybe and hopefully this normal on this type of motor.

bernie

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
up and running. all smoke is inside.

on another forum a gentilman told me on 1/2 hp and smaller fla and no load current are close. as you load the motor the power factor changes, not current. comfirmed this today w electrical instructor.

I am good to go.

now to mount and plumb the compressor.

thanks to all,

bernie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts