DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a new dishwasher. The old dishwasher was hardwired, while the new one needs to be plugged in to an outlet. When I went to install the outlet from the original wires, I found that there are only a black and white wire, no ground. They also seem to be on a circuit by themselves, so are not protected by a gfci.

Is it ok to install the new dishwasher to an ungrounded outlet?

·
Super Moderator
16,947 Posts
Your instructions will probably call for installation on a grounded circuit.

GFI protection not needed unless called for in instructions. Most will not.

·
Wire Chewer
3,599 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you may be able to pull a ground from an existing nearby receptacle. Since the wall behind the dishwasher will be hidden anyway, you could just cut whatever you need so you could fish a wire. If you're lucky there may be a receptacle nearby.

I would still fish a full romex but just cap the other two conductor ends. Again, not sure if this is actually permitted, just an idea. I know it's not permitted to do this with a neutral even though it works, not sure what the rules are with grounds, considering they don't carry current. (normally)

·
Super Moderator
16,947 Posts
It is three prong. I don't see that the manufactuer specified any requirements as such. I was thinking of leaving it ungrounded and installing a gfci as the new outlet.

Thanks for your help!
NEC 250.114(3) requires the use of a grounding conductor in the circuit supplying a dishwasher.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.