DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a new range and decided to install outlet prior to arrival so that the plug wire can be attached and ready to go. The current range is hard wired with 300v to ground, Type SE cable, Style U Type RH, 3 wire (Red/Black/bare) 8 guage AL. Made sure the outlet I purchased was AL compatible. Stopped when I saw that the bare wire was used as the neutral. Older post indicated that the bare wire in SE wire could be used for current load. Can this wire be used or is a new feed required.
Thanks for your help,
Phil

·
Super Moderator
15,470 Posts
That is the insulation rating on the cable, not the voltage.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Stopped when I saw that the bare wire was used as the neutral. Older post indicated that the bare wire in SE wire could be used for current load. Can this wire be used or is a new feed required.
Thanks for your help,
Phil
As I recall, it has never been acceptable to use a bare conductor as a neutral/ground in a 3-wire circuit. Back when this type of circuit was allowed, the grounded/grounding conductor had to be insulated.
EDIT: 250.140(3) allowed the bare conductor in SE cable (but not other types of cable) to be used as a current carrying conductor in these circuits.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
As I recall, it has never been acceptable to use a bare conductor as a neutral/ground in a 3-wire circuit. Back when this type of circuit was allowed, the grounded/grounding conductor had to be insulated.
Completely opposite. The neutral in SEU cable was allowed to be used for older range circuits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speedy Petey, you were in the post from 2008 that I read this morning saying the same thing -"The neutral in SEU cable was allowed to be used for older range circuits." I wrote the post b/c to be sure if the wire in my 1971 house would be the acceptable SE type. So, can I install the outlet using what I have or need to run a new feed line (which would quite a task)?
Thanks for all the replies,
Phil

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
Speedy Petey, you were in the post from 2008 that I read this morning saying the same thing -"The neutral in SEU cable was allowed to be used for older range circuits." I wrote the post b/c to be sure if the wire in my 1971 house would be the acceptable SE type. So, can I install the outlet using what I have or need to run a new feed line (which would quite a task)?
Thanks for all the replies,
Phil

I'm not Speedy Petey, but I will answer for you.
As long as you are not relocating the circuit, then you can continue to use this wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts