DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Stubbie, your drawing would require a 5 wire cable to complete. It would require a Ground, Neutral, plus 3 hot wires (two travelers, plus a common); and you cant use the ground as the neutral wire. I am guessing this 4 wire cable the op has is 3 wire + ground (bare ground, white, black, red). Unless the op is running conduit the entire distance from switch box to switch box, and pulling individual wires through the only logical way to do this would be what HouseHelper and I have suggested is to power the garage light from the house side of the circuit.

The grounds are never drawn for picture clarification. And no one ever includes the ground as a conductor count. Examples. 14-2, 14-3, etc, etc,....

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yes chris75 I know that, but referencing the fact that the op has a 4 wire UF cable, its not going to be this fancy 5 wire cable. The drawing stubbie had was already at 4 wires and still didn't include a ground, meaning it would have to be a 14/4 w/g making it 5 wires total. I am not new to electrical wiring, I have been doing electrical work since I was about 7 years old. I have done plenty of work with electrical wiring and have worked on some complex setups. I was just trying to indicate that the diagram would need to be done with a 5 wire cable, when the op clearly stated he only has a 4 wire cable (which is 1 less than 5).

So now are we done with drilling in the fact that most electrical drawings don't show the ground for simplicity?

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
So now are we done with drilling in the fact that most electrical drawings don't show the ground for simplicity?

I certainly hope so......:thumbsup:

My interest in stage lighting is directed at my good friends son ( 21 years young) who wants very much to have a career or business in theater/stage lighting. He has over the last couple years spent his last dime on stage lighting trusses and jacks and lights of all sorts and a nice new tandem trailer to haul all the stuff in...:). Of course dimmer racks and programing software. He has his first job in a few weeks at a bar-b-que contest lighting an outdoor stage for a live band. First he is going to put on a fireworks show (he is also a class one pyro-technician) and set up his equipment for a family gathering the week before his job.

So I was going to refer him here to open a thread and was wondering if you would assist him with his questions.....and mine of course...:)

I hope you will hang out here on the forum over time as you offer a area of expertise that I at least am not overly familiar. Any forum is better with professionals from different areas of skill.

I don't think you hijacked the thread....I think I steered it to the left when it should have went to the right.....:wink:

Stubbie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Stubbie: Thank you, your wiring diagram was exactly what I was going to do.

theatretch85: Yes, it's 14-4 NM cable (Romex) and I got a 250 foot roll of it at a local electrical supply house. It costs more but it's great for not having two separate lengths of 14-2.

Househelper: Thank you, your suggestion is an excellent one. I will simply take the feed from the house side and thereby save myself one 75-foot length of wire.

By the way, for those that were wondering whether I was using UF (direct bury) cable: I did that in the past (10-3 UF) when I brought power out from the house to the garage; but this time I am burying gray PVC conduit. This means I won't be using any NM or UF cable; it will be THHN wire inside the conduit.

Thanks again to all for the advice.

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
So I guess you get to admire your 4 conductor nm for a while.....:thumbsup: I'm glad things worked out. I had a bit of trouble understanding your intentions when you said you wanted to use 4 conductor cable but almost always those of us here on the forum eventually get it figured out. To your credit using 4 conductor nm-b was exactly what you wanted had you had the right configuration and a little different installation requirement.

·
registered
1,354 Posts
Stubbie my Father is a Ford mtr company retiree UAW Local 588 and my brother in law currently works at the chicago heights stamping plant local 588. My Father was a QC inspector. Brother in law is currently Material handler. Not sure what my brother in law seniority is i'm thinking 76 or 77 or 78 seniority. My father before retirement had 56 seniority. Brother in law had a sweet job and they eliminated it. So now he is material handler. He hooks up the the racks at the end of the line and pulls them where they need to go.

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Yes I have met a few people from 588 at meetings in Detroit years back...I'm retired now. Sorry but i just can't pull the names out of my head right now. My seniority was 1974, Local 249 Claycomo, Missouri Assembly and then transferred to Kansas City Parts Distribution.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
By the way, for those that were wondering whether I was using UF (direct bury) cable: I did that in the past (10-3 UF) when I brought power out from the house to the garage; but this time I am burying gray PVC conduit. This means I won't be using any NM or UF cable; it will be THHN wire inside the conduit.
Just to make sure you meant "THWN" not "THHN" in that conduit. Since its still considered a "wet" location it needs to have the "W" in the label which makes it rated for a wet location.

Stubbie, yes I would be more than happy to provide any assistance I can in the way of stage lighting and power distribution. Either put up a new thread or send me a message either way. I haven't been on here all too often, but i'll make it a point to check back more often.

·
registered
1,354 Posts
Yes I have met a few people from 588 at meetings in Detroit years back...I'm retired now. Sorry but i just can't pull the names out of my head right now. My seniority was 1974, Local 249 Claycomo, Missouri Assembly and then transferred to Kansas City Parts Distribution.
Claycomo, missouri assembly is that where they use to make the mercury mystique at Meaning is that kansas city missouri assembly plant? I use to have a mercury mystique bought it new got the a plan because of my father being a retiree and it was made at kansas city assembly this is why i asked.:thumbsup:

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Claycomo, missouri assembly is that where they use to make the mercury mystique at Meaning is that kansas city missouri assembly plant? I use to have a mercury mystique bought it new got the a plan because of my father being a retiree and it was made at kansas city assembly this is why i asked.:thumbsup:
Yes you have it right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I got it wrong

Well, I ran all the wires - took power from the house to the three-way-switch with pilot light, then used 14-3 (two travelers and a neutral) from there to the 3-way switch in the garage. Hooked it all up and the three way switches work - but the pilot does not. The pilot says on all the time, regardless of whether the fixture is on or not!

Turns out that the wiring diagram (attached) from Pass & Seymour Legrand is just simply DEAD WRONG. A wiring diagram that I received by email from Leviton (attached) confirms it.

If the pilot light is in the 3-way switch at the LOAD end, then only 3-wire (two travelers and a neutral) is required between the two switches. BUT - if the pilot light is in the 3-way switch at the LINE end (as it is in my case), then 4-wire (two travelers, a neutral, and an additional wire to connect the pilot light to the load) is needed!

Needless to say I am most disappointed that, despite reading the Pass & LeGrand diagram, and asking for help here, I still didn't get it right. Now I have to pull out a bunch of 14-3 and replace it with 14-4... a real waste of money and time.

Hopefully someone else can learn from my experience!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Current Transformers

Does anyone out there understand all the different spec parameters given by different mfrs of these thing?
My 1st post....I'm a novice!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Does anyone out there understand all the different spec parameters given by different mfrs of these thing?
My 1st post....I'm a novice!
Wow, you do realize its been 5 months since anything was said in this thread and your topic has NOTHING to do with it! Seriously, start a new thread, also start by reading the

Views: 14,594 Announcement: PLEASE READ: Posting Rules and Disclaimer

Found at the top of the forum listing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
is that good, bad or indifferent?
Actually I'm experimenting with a 3-way switch with a pilot llight on the line (NOT LOAD) side and current transformers come into play.
NO additional wire runs needed in the house for this!.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wiring Two 3way Pilot Light Switches - Each with pilot light.

This is what I understand you have and using your 4 conductor cable
I ordered two 3way switches (Leviton 5246-I - 15A Duplex Style 3-Way Switch w/ Pilot Light), each-one with a pilot light so to know when the oil burner is turned on from two locations. Trying to conserve fuel oil burning a direct hot water heater. After searching the web, seems there is no example out there- i hope i can run 2 pilot lights on the same system... appreciate your time, Thanks, Charles

21 - 35 of 35 Posts