DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you turn on the spa pump I want the pool pump to shut off so I am using a normally open contactor on the spa pump and normally closed contactor on the pool pump. When you turn on the spa it turns off the pool pump.
The problem is the pool heater turns on the pool pump when the temp goes down in the pool. I dont want that to happen. How do I wire the contactors.

· E2 Electrician
5,656 Posts
When you turn on the spa pump I want the pool pump to shut off so I am using a normally open contactor on the spa pump and normally closed contactor on the pool pump. When you turn on the spa it turns off the pool pump.
The problem is the pool heater turns on the pool pump when the temp goes down in the pool. I dont want that to happen. How do I wire the contactors.

Add another pole to your contactor and run the heater control wiring through it to stop the heater from firing... Personally, i've never seen your setup before, why shut down the pool pumps?

· " Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
I think the OP did have the spa and pool pump motours on the same circuit which that is a denfinely a no-no on that.

Because useally pool pump motour typically are larger than spa pumps but some case both can be same size.

Merci,
Marc

· Registered
1,490 Posts
This is a really bad idea. If you shut off pump while heater is running you will have problems. The control systems are specifically designed to do what you have. Leave it alone.

· Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,404 Posts
This is a really bad idea. If you shut off pump while heater is running you will have problems. The control systems are specifically designed to do what you have. Leave it alone.
He certainly can't disable the heater-pump control interlock. The heater must never run without the pump. What he needs to do is have the spa pump contactor also disable the heater, so the heater and main pump don't come on when the spa pump is on. Of course, this assumes that there's a rational reason not to want both pumps on at the same time. I still don't really understand why he wouldn't want that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.