DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a motor for a fan that im trying to get wired to work. the wires that come out of the motor are the originals but are still looking too be in good condition.

My question is, if the motor wiring colors are black, white, and orage (with a ground on the side of the motor), how would i connect a grounded plug to it (black, white, green)? Or am i asking the impossible

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
How was it wired before you opened it up or is the something you bought that didn't have a cord? Could it be a two speed fan?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i picked it up from a house that i was cleaning out. didnt have any extra wiring to it. so i dont know how it was wired

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
Hard to say without more info. May be a 2 speed motor? Blk & wht one speed, Ong & wht another speed. Is there a name plate on it? Any ratings on the plate?

·
Registered
244 Posts
The voltage rating is the main event (120v or 220v). Beyond that, what type of motor is it? A blower motor from a furnace, a condenser fan motor? Some motors (such as blower motors) require more than a plug to work properly.

As Kyle states, more info is needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
took a chance and hooked it up normal without the orange and it works. tried hooking the orange to the white and got nothing so im guessing there might have been like an overheat or something module on it that the orange was probably hooked up to.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
Cool.

What ya using the motor for? Shop blower or something?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts