DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having problems figuring out what the builder did in wiring the light in my garage. I was replacing the switches in both the garage and inside the house, both control the single light in the garage.

I have two 3-way switches. Inside, I have 2 black wires and 1 red. Inside the garage I have 1 black and 2 red. Any ideas how to wire the garage? I can get the light to work from the inside switch but cannot manage to have the light work from the garage. I assumed that the black wire was the hot wire and the 2 red were carriers?

Anyone?

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Having problems figuring out what the builder did in wiring the light in my garage. I was replacing the switches in both the garage and inside the house, both control the single light in the garage.
The builder left these wires for you to connect, or are you just replacing the switches?

·
Super Moderator
22,060 Posts
We need to know what you also have a the fixture.
If you want to try and figure it out this will help.
At one switch one of the wire should be hot. That goes on the common(black) screw. The other two go on the traveller screws. Install the first switch.
Then go to the other switch. One of the wire should now be hot. Flip the first switch. Another wire should now be hot. Those two are the travellers. The third wire goes on the common.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Getting to the fixture will be a bit diffiult due to ceilings in the garage are 25ft (still havent figured it out). Actually, there are 2 fixtures in the garage with both being controlled by the same 2 switches. I was replacing them and had 1 wired but then the other stopped working. Reverted back to the original switches. So is it trial and error getting the garage switch to work? Also, now recalling that I have 2 fixtures in the garage does this change something? I am guessing the garage fixtures are daisy chained.

·
Super Moderator
22,060 Posts
You will need to go to the second part of my post and find the hot feed wire. There will only be one at one switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts