DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched around and this
http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/trying-wire-light-light-switch-off-outlet-394/
was the closest thing that I could find regarding my issue, however, the outlet is not last in the series. Hopefully I'll describe this well enough.

There is an outlet and a light that are currently hooked up to the same switch. We wanted only one of the receptacles on the outlet to be controlled by the switch. I broke the tabs off the switch and rewired everything the way it was before (description of wiring next), but now the outlet and light no longer work.

In the outlet box there are 6 wires. Two black (one is always hot) that are twisted together with a wire nut. One white wire (which is always hot, if the black are twisted together), a white and red wire, and a ground. The "always hot" white wire is in the bottom of the outlet, the other white and red wires are in the top of the outlet, and the ground is connected to the green screw.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Can we get some pictures and you said there's a switch what kind of wires in that box?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'm assuming when you say you broke the tabs off the switch you meant the outlet. Did you break off both tabs on the outlet? One on the hot side and one on the neutral side, if so that's probably the problem. You'll need to connect both neutral wires to both neutral screw terminals on the outlet. Probably the best way is just to connect 2 white wires to the outlet (top and bottom screw) and wire nut them with the wires from the wall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, I did in fact break both tabs off. I'm testing now to see if that was the issue.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
IF you broke both tabs off, you have disrupted the circuit. NEVER break off the neutral (white wire) tab, unless you have a separate circuit feed.

Now, you'll have to jumper those wires back together, or replace the device.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts