DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to wire a workshop that is 30 feet from the main panel. I wanted to add a 30 amp GFCI to the main panel and run wire underground to the shop and a subpanel with two circuits 15 amp for lighting 20 amp for saws. What size wire do I need to use and is 30 amps too much or will 20 get me by running one tool at a time?

·
Registered
305 Posts
This is a detached building? If you are going though all the trouble of trenching a line I would use a minimum or #6 and a 60 amp sub panel. That way you will have future expansion needs without having to do it over in the future. You do not need to use a gfci to feed the sub panel. The individual circuits that are run from the sub panel may need gfci protection.

·
Super Moderator
8,866 Posts
I agree with teamo. Unless local codes dictate, there is no need to used a gfci breaker to feed the building.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response and yes it is a detached building and will be fed from the garage. What about ground rods - necessary?

·
Super Moderator
8,866 Posts
Thanks for your response and yes it is a detached building and will be fed from the garage. What about ground rods - necessary?
Yes.
2 hots, a neutral and a ground wire needed from the garage to the building.
Ground and neutral seperate in the building panel, gorund rod connecto ground from the garage.

·
Registered
247 Posts
jbfan i am thinking of doing the same thing, but i do not understand the need for the ground rod it the subpanel has a ground running to it from the main panel. could you please explain the need for this.

·
Registered
756 Posts
jbfan i am thinking of doing the same thing, but i do not understand the need for the ground rod it the subpanel has a ground running to it from the main panel. could you please explain the need for this.
Because the NEC requires it.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts