DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am doing an little rewiring and adding some recessed lighting in the living room and removing some other odd lights and have run into a issue.
The source of power is coming into a separate (blank) box on a wall but the light switch (single pole) is on a adjacent wall. The 2 wire cable from the switch to the source of power is running through a electrical outlet on the wall.
I have no issue connecting all this up IF I just remove the electrical outlet but I would like to keep it(in a functional state) if possible. See diagram.
All wires a 2 wire romex.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
18,328 Posts
Unless you have the option to install a neutral later, like in a conduit system, the code now requires a neutral at the switches. This effectively rules out switch loops with 2 wire cables. You would now need 3 wire cables.

· Super Moderator
24,972 Posts
It is not possible. You need three wires between the power box and the receptacle; neutral, unswitched power to the receptacle and switched power back from the switch.
To meet new switch code you also need three wire cable to the switch but it will work with only two wires.

· Registered
11,194 Posts
You should skip the comments about other things you were doing and concentrate on your problem.

In your diagram, what was existing before you started work and what have you added or modified since starting?

In the receptacle box, how sure are you about the wires labeled to parts unknown ? Could they be from parts unknown and a separate hot source for the receptacle?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.