DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at build me a new workshop in my backyard, and I am wondering could I have the shop wiring off the street?

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Its commonly done around here, but I've heard its frowned upon in other parts of the country. Follow Sticky's advice and contact your local inspection dept and POCO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but why would you want to run it separate? I would expect that there are added fees and possibly taxes that are incurred once per service/meter, and you'll pay those again if you do it this way, plus you'll pay for the utility's costs to run the lines.

I have 200A service to my house, and I have a climate-controlled 1000sqft workshop with 100A fed from the main panel to my subpanel. In total, my property has three heatpumps, two hot water heaters, oven, cooktop, and air compressor all using 240VAC service, and the rest of the 120VAC circuits in place for everything else. So far I haven't had any problems with it.

Be mindful, a lot of municipalities won't allow it because they don't want their property owners to subdivide the property or to rent outbuildings to other parties, and usually a first step in doing that is to add additional utilities separate from the main structure.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but why would you want to run it separate? I would expect that there are added fees and possibly taxes that are incurred once per service/meter, and you'll pay those again if you do it this way, plus you'll pay for the utility's costs to run the lines.

I have 200A service to my house, and I have a climate-controlled 1000sqft workshop with 100A fed from the main panel to my subpanel. In total, my property has three heatpumps, two hot water heaters, oven, cooktop, and air compressor all using 240VAC service, and the rest of the 120VAC circuits in place for everything else. So far I haven't had any problems with it.

Be mindful, a lot of municipalities won't allow it because they don't want their property owners to subdivide the property or to rent outbuildings to other parties, and usually a first step in doing that is to add additional utilities separate from the main structure.

Did anyone do an actual load calculation for both structures? Just because it works, does not make it correct.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
It's usually more cost effective to use a subpanel fed from one service, because most utilities charge a substantial (~$20-$40) monthly base fee per service. Better check how they will bill you before you commit to a second meter.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
It's usually more cost effective to use a subpanel fed from one service, because most utilities charge a substantial (~$20-$40) monthly base fee per service. Better check how they will bill you before you commit to a second meter.
It might be cheaper in the long run to upgrade the existing service and take advantage of 230.40 Exception No.3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts