DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
smitty
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tasked to run some add'l circuits for daughter #3. GFI'd of course
She has a recessed main panel in the garage. I'm way more familiar with putting in add'l circuits into a surface mounted main.
So--on a recessed panel I normally see that the circuit wiring runs down from the top plate to the panel thru the stud bay. Fine.
my problem is going to be that the outlets will be surface mounted on the garage wall about 2 feet off the floor using Romex.
So how do I transition from the surface of the sheet rock into the main panel.
Currently there is one circuit (Romex) that just dives into the sheet rock then into the main. Looks like crap---but is it legal?

All opinions welcome.
thks

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Cut in a remodel box beside the panel, run a wire from the panel into the box, then put an extension ring on the box to come from surface for the remainder of the wiring. You should not run romex exposed surface. Use armored cable or conduit with THHN wire. The cleanest look is wiremold, but that is probably overkill unless it is going to be a living space where looks is important.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.